PDA

View Full Version : Sliding from temporary into permanent - is this EEO

Jane Oliver
07-04-2011, 04:37 PM
We are looking to appoint (without advertising) a suitable applicant for a role. However, it's nearly End of 3-Year Contact time, so this person would only get a temporary (but full time) contract. Mid April to End of June 2011.

If we then want to offer the 3-year contract from 1 July 2011, (to our "temp") does anyone see a problem with this being outside of EEO - best person for the job??? I am quite unclear about this, but as an NGO that carries a responsibility to act as Public Servants do, we may have to advertise the 3-year fixed term contract position to satisfy EEO "Principles". (In terms of precidence, the majority of staff are offered renewal 3-year contracts), but no one is technically PERMANENT.

Our employment contracts are very clear about the 3-year term being subject to government funding.

Any thoughts?

Qld IR Consultant
27-05-2011, 08:48 AM
I gather what you are referring to is appointing this person on a fixed term contract for 3 years. I can't see how EEO is involved in this situation, but it would be dependant upon what industrial instruments are currently running, policy, and you mentioned Public Servants so I am assuming its a government organisation, or government owned. Therefore you would need to adhere to any policies they have in respect to recruitment etc.

Without exact detail its a bit sketchy but from your post I can't see anything restricting you from going through with the appointment....