PDA

View Full Version : Some advice needed

sydneybhoy
19-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Hi Everyone,

I have been told that I need to be available to work "on call" on a 3 weekly basis ( I wasnt told this when I took the role )

The company supplies me with a mobile phone. I recently went out for a meal with my wife and left the business phone at home. I never realised till the next morning that i had missed calls from a client at 10pm.

Anyway I apologised to the other staff that I had missed calls but I was out for a meal.

My gripe is that they have now called me on my personal phone I'm annoyed that they have managed to get my personal no from somewhere (Probably my Resume which none of them should have as My manager is based in Melbourne)

I'm also annoyed that I have to be available in my own time. I do not get remunerated for being on call and I wouldn't have taken the position if I knew that would be the case.

Any advice for me

Regards

Steve

People Person
22-09-2011, 04:11 PM
What is the nature of the job? If the job is one where being "on call" is a common/reasonable requirement, they may not have had to mention it to you. For example, if you work for a company that has a 24 hour operation/service, it may be assumed as part of your role that there was an on-call component.

What do you expect the reaction would be if you said you don't want to be on call and that you didn't agree to this when you accepted the job?

Qld IR Consultant
22-09-2011, 04:42 PM
Unless it formed part of your letter of offer, position description or workplace agreement you would have a good case to argue regardless of whether it was a "unwritten expectation" of the role given the nature of the business operations. My advice would be to approach your management tactfully and get clarification on the expectations and go from there. Once you have their position (in writing) come back to the forum and we'll revisit.