PDA

View Full Version : If it is hard for local HR university student find a entry level job, It is harder for immigrant!

Raychen
17-12-2010, 03:47 PM
Just feel desperate and recently when I write CV I want add something crazy like "Do not make me lie and play trick..I have Chinese accent and lack of related work experience is obviously. I can not lie about this or hide it. If my disadvantage is lazy I can hide,"

I already work hard on looking for work experience and I keep study update my knowledge. I did three month work experiences while I am study skills for work and training. I doing volunteer in community centre. Beside my bachelor degree, I completed Financial services Certificate IV full time course this year. I already send around 100 resumes and CVs still can not get a entry level Admin or HR job. Actually, I like HR most and because my fail I want become a HR professional even more.

My parents spent most of their saving send me to Sydney study when I was only 17, they expect me completed university study here and find a entry level job in a local company. Then I can live independently in here. It is like a investment. But I feel I failed them. I feel a lot pressure and I think better I give myself pressure before anyone else. So I keep trying and hiding my depression. I look happy, relax and very positive. I have to. If I am look sad and desperate things only can be worse.

I think If I am a HR professional, will I risky my reputation for a stranger with Chinese accent and lack of work experience? What is good for me to do this? I should be safe, choose someone speak perfect English with at least two years work experiences, even they lied in their resume, it is not my fault. Anything happen, I am not responsible for that.

As an immigrant, I use second language study university in this country is much harder than local student. Finally, I completed my degree but still harder for me looking for a EEO job. Because EEO included equal perfect English. I know for HR position communication is very important. But after three years study, I think I should be able to apply a entry level HR position. If not, what is the point spent three years to study a major?!! But not many opportunities, even have I am not the "safe" one can be considered.

Talk about work well under pressure, not afraid challenges! Do not you think decide move to another country live independently already is a big challenge?
Face to a lot financial and study pressures alone with positive attitude persist till now can not prove anything?

About keen to learn, hard worker and quick learner. Use second language completed university and work as well can not prove the ability to learn?

I know if I decide move to another country live independently, I should accept all difficulties I will face to. Many immigrants face the same difficulties. But I just feel shame accept government assistence now. I am young, health and completed uni study, I should not. How could I be confidence without financial independently?!

My parents asked me go back China celebrate Chinese New Year with them, I do not want they disappoint, I said "maybe, maybe". I won't feel happy go back my hometown like this. I tell meself, fail just means you did not try hard enough!

The Y-man
21-12-2010, 09:31 AM
Raychen,

I hope you take this in a constructive way - I am not trying to denigrade you in any way - but being very honest.... Looking at your post, your command of the English language is not very good - certainly not in a corporate situation.

Communication is very important in HR - particularly written communicaiton - you may need to narrow your search down to where a bilingual skill set is needed (eg for a Chinese based company operating here etc)

As for government assistance - ACCEPT everything that you are legally entitled to. There is no shame in accepting any assistance, especially since you are expected to pay them back in the form of taxes when you do start working.

Good Luck!

The Y-man

The Y-man
21-12-2010, 09:43 AM
One of the big, big issues I have with Universities and private RTO's at present is people with very poor levels of english allowed to 1. enter into the course and 2. graduate.

This is NOT a fault of the students - but the fault of a system finely balanced between maintaining reputation and a means of existence in terms of revenue.

Unfortunately Raychen, I find many students in your situation, who through no fault of their own are told by universities, "no worries, you will be fine - here's your degree (and thanks for your money!)", graduate, and find they are underprepared and underskilled for their area of expertise.

I wish I had better news, but keep you chin up, and keep trying - adversity is what builds character.

The Y-man

jim c500
17-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Got to agree with Y-man. Don't get me wrong, your English is much better than my Chinese(!), but if a job seeker sent something to me of that standard they'd be unlikely to go any further, regardless of their other qualities - degree, willingness to face challenges by living abroad etc. Your best bet would be to seek employment in a Chinese company that needs English speakers, rather than a pure Australian company where your English will be judged against the competition.

I have to say that your dilemma is all too common given how Australia has linked (perhaps 'had linked' would be more accurate given some of the changes underway) overseas study so closely to migration. In most first world countries, foreign students arrive to get a quality education then return home; here they enrol in order to secure a longer term visa (a generalisation, I know, but you get my point.)

Finally, I think you need to have a mature chat with your parents about their unrealistic expectations of you. Following your ambitions is one thing, living out your parents' is another.

Good luck

jessica
25-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Hi Raychen,
I was born and raised in Australia, studied my whole life at good schools, studied HR at an Australian university, and it still took me 12 months to finally be offered an entry level HR position. There were 108 applications for my role so I'm very lucky to have the job.

If you have a look in Seek.com.au , there are always recruitment companies searching for HR Grads for recruitment positions. While this is a high-pressure industry to get into, it will give you 1. Australian work experience, and 2. HR exposure, which can easily be transferred into other entry-level HR Generalist positions which may require recruitment.

Another idea - get any customer service job that you can (even retail) as HR (especially entry level roles) is so much about internal customer service; assisting employees and managers in your organisation to resolve their HR issues requires customer services skills.

Good luck in your job search :)

Tianna
31-01-2011, 09:35 AM
Raychen,

I agree with the above comments and I don't think playing the immigrant card is going to land you a role in HR. No one wants to read such comments on your resume. It's clear you are negative about the situation but I think you need to understand that HR is very competitive. If your finding it difficult to handle the pressures of job hunting for a HR role how do you expect to handle the role itself?

I think you should explore your options, know your strengths and look for work that is relevant to that. Applying for 100 jobs in the hope you will get one isn't going to work. You have to apply for roles that suit your skills.

Another suggestion is get someone who has english as a first language to view your resume. Your resume is what you need to use to seperate you from other applicants - in a positive way.

Did you return to China for the Chinese NY?

MH Chan
16-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Hi Ray

I'm agreeing with you totally. It is indeed a very difficult position for the "outsider" to get into any HR roles in Aust. whether you have the experience or not. However, you do need to brush up on your communication skills esp your written English if you you are still keen to find a role in HR.

I'm a migrant from Malaysia & have been looking for HR jobs for the past 6 months but still not successful despite the fact that I have 16 years of pure HR experience.

I'm really looking forward to someone in this forum to help me out here. In fact someone told me to look for volunteer positions in HR - question is, do non-profit org advertise such positions? If so, where do they advertise?

Oliver H
20-04-2011, 07:01 PM
Hi MH Chan,
My advice would be to contact companies directly and offer to work as an intern. I would start with smaller companies as opposed to larger companies but it is a different way to get your foot in the door. Unfortunately there is no easy answer - good luck

D57
10-09-2011, 10:33 PM
Hi MH Chan, were you able to find a job till now or not??

In case you are still searching i think the idea to connect with recruitment companies, not the hiring companies directly is pretty good. I do not mean those recruitment consultants through whom jobs are advertised at seek dot com but I mean real recruitment companies with the websites and it's own internal database of employers, where you can also upload your CV and they will be working with you (maybe they will ask some bucks for their services, I am not sure), they even advice on your CV building&correcting, they will be trying to match you against their clients' requirements.

Why it's different from just simple applying through seek e.g. because in this way (with seek) the competition is hundred times higher and positions are mostly for the fast-speed closure while making your way through recruitment companies with more relaxed and both clients' sides orientated (employers and job seekers) approach is much better for you.

I knew people who landed their first australian jobs through such companies even before coming to Au.

Good luck and let us know the update on your current situation!

MH Chan
12-09-2011, 09:07 AM
Hi all,

No I have not been able to secure a job since I last posted. I have done 3 months of volunteering work from April to July 2011.

I would appreciate if you could let me have the names of those companies who are helping migrants like me to find a jon.

Cheers,
Adelynn (MH) Chan

Moz
12-09-2011, 11:55 AM
D57,
I don't wish to seem rude, but most of what you have said is wrong and I believe it is important to state the facts so that recent migrants have a realistic view of how recruitment works here in Australia.

While I agree that there is a lot of rubbish on Seek, almost every recruitment company who advertises on Seek is a "real" recruitment company, with their own web site and database. It doesn't make any difference whether you apply through Seek or not, the competition is the same, because most jobs are advertised on Seek anyway, often many times! (that's part of the problem)

I would strongly disagree with your suggestion that it is better to contact recruitment companies rather than contacting employers directly, particularly for recent migrants.

Recruitment agencies are not paid to find jobs for people - they are paid to find the very best people they can for their clients (the employers). The fact that they have databases means that they are likely to already know good candidates with local education and experience whom they can refer to their clients. All recruitment companies, good or bad, work this way, (I know, because I have worked in and managed them for many years).

Furthermore, if an employer hires someone referred by a recruitment company they have to pay the recruitment company a fee, so they are only going to hire someone through a recruitment company if they really have to do so.

You also mentioned that a recruiter may ask for payment of "some bucks" for their services - it's illegal for a recruitment company to charge you to handle your application.

If you know people who have landed their first Australian job through an agent, before arriving in Australia, it is almost certain that they had some very specific qualifications and experience (such as civil engineering) which were in short supply here. Unfortunately that does not apply to HR.

People Person
19-09-2011, 09:05 AM
Hi Moz,
Ditto - I couldn't agree more. I worked for recruitment agencies as well and some applicants felt it was their right to have a job granted to them on arrival in Australia. I was offerred cash, I was begged, I had applicants in tears wailing on the phone to me that they could not find work (mind you, this didn't help them to get a job). But I agree, agencies are looking for "the cream" and are simply following their client's instructions - that's how they get paid. The job ads are real and advertising them on seek.com.au is legitimate. What I don't understand is why some people think the jobs aren't real - what purpose does it serve to advertise fake jobs?

I have 15 years experience in HR and I have survived from contract to contract because it is very difficult to find a full-time role. When I am "in between" jobs, I send my CV everywhere - even to jobs that don't necessarily appeal to me just so I may have the opportunity of a call from a recruiter who "may" be able to place me in a job. I'm not proud and I don't complain. We all have our crosses to bear and I don't think it will get any easier in the short term.

Maybe I should study civil engineering.....

MH Chan
19-09-2011, 09:19 AM
Hi People Person,

I couldn't agree more with you. I have sent out numerous applicantions (in the past 10 months) to recruiters as well as companies advertising for positions. I have progressed from just receiving rejection emails to meeting the headhunters in person. I am hoping to break this cycle & find a job soon.

Cheers,
Adelynn

Irene W
27-09-2011, 03:18 PM
What if I ticked all the boxes, had the qualifications, language skills and the exposure to assist in HR duties but made the wrong move of going into admin roles when I first migrated here because of the 'lack of local experience' factor? Four years on and I have progressed in admin but can't get my foot in the door for HR roles because of the 'lack of local experience factor'. So it always will be a chicken and egg situation.

Anyway, life goes on.. Maybe I should have done engineering as well..