PDA

View Full Version : Developing a mentor relationship

Banger
06-12-2010, 08:48 PM
Hello

I'm currently a HR Advisor within a large organisation. I'm at the stage where I'm needing development in my career, if I'm going to advance any further and improve myself.

I'm looking into developing a mentor relationship. I'm considering someone who is not necessarily from within the HR field. I need development in relationship building, influencing skills and just general career guidance.

Id be interested to know what other HR professionals think.

Has anyone else in HR had a mentor relationship that was useful and influential for their career development?
And if so, was your mentor from within your organisation or external?
What level of their career was your mentor at?

How did you meet your mentor?

Does anybody have any other suggestions on choosing a suitable mentor?

Thanks!

Moz
08-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Banger,

I can't answer all your questions, but I have some suggestions/comments.

If you are in a junior position an internal mentor could work (assuming your organisation supports this), but as you become more senior I feel that an external mentor could be better, because it would be useful to have someone who is impartial with whom you can discuss real life scenarios that you encounter.

I should also point out that one way or another mentors often get paid, either as part of their salary because mentoring is part of their job or they get extra payment because it requires an extra time commitment over and above their normal workload (my wife has done this, but not in HR). Obviously an external professional mentor would have a fee structure.

You could get lucky and find a friend who has the necessary skills and experience to mentor you free of charge.

As for choosing a mentor, I guess it goes without saying that it needs to be someone who has relevant skills and experience and who is quite accomplished in their own right.

It's an interesting topic and I will be keen to hear what others have to say.

Kaydee in Sydney
25-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Hello

"I'm looking into developing a mentor relationship. I'm considering someone who is not necessarily from within the HR field. I need development in ."

You could approach someone within your organisation who is good and well respected for their abilities in skills of relationship building, influencing skills and just general career guidance.

I've had one good mentor relationship in terms of the capability of my mentor but when they got too busy - we couldn't spend the time required - it's easy not to be a business priority. My best mentor was from within the organisation and I approached them. What is important this that time is allocated to the relationship so that if your mentor gets too busy with their role - you don't get forgotten or put on the back burner.

My mentor was at GM - 3 level so had reached a point in their career where they had great capability and had achieved career success but may not have had all the mentoring skills necessary.
I am considering signing onto the AHRI mentor program, it's taking applications for mentors and mentees and I've put the link here in case you find it useful.. Mentors have to commit to the time and if the relationship is not working for the mentee - you can discuss this with the mentoring program managers. Here's the link http://www.ahri.com.au/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=AHRI-LIVE/ccms.r?Pageid=11090

Hope this is useful.

Kay Dee[/I