PDA

View Full Version : Perceived objectivity (fairness) and staff retention

alkar
22-09-2010, 04:23 AM
Has anyone had experience in putting in place objective staff measurement systems in retail/customer facing environments?

Until recently we've been focused on manager appraisals but (particularly in retail operations) now we're looking at using customer feedback systems as a way to measure staff performance more objectively. It seems like there's an opportunity to align every thing to what affects the company's bottom line and reward employees for customer satisfaction levels.

We're looking at SMS based and web based customer feedback systems with location and time specific reporting.

Moz
16-10-2010, 12:34 PM
... now we're looking at using customer feedback systems as a way to measure staff performance more objectively.

This is a great idea. But I can think of a few large organisations who would end up managing an awful lot of underperforming staff!

Although I suspect the poor attitude of staff in some retail organisations is down to the way they are treated by their employers.

One difficulty in gathering feedback from customers is that they may be most likely to provide feedback when they are very unhappy with the service received. Some (a lesser percentage) will give feedback when they have a very positive experience, but people are very unlikely to give feedback when their experience was simply acceptable. So the feedback system needs to be very easy to participate in and you may need some form of incentive for the customers.

There are other issues to consider in a retail environment such as a supermarket. Customers may be irritated by other factors which are out of the control of the customer facing staff, such as poor stock levels, or long queues at the checkout tills, which would probably be down to the store manager.

When it comes to supermarkets, see if you can find out how Waitrose does it in the UK. I don't know how they measure performance but their service standards are fantastic (at least they were last time I experienced them).

ValCam
18-10-2010, 10:36 AM
Yes, I agree here, I think customer feedback would be rather subjective. I am an old school PRM thinker. I think competence and behaviour PRM based on key behaviours ranked, as in a BARS, would be more "objective".

michaelakassar
12-11-2010, 05:49 PM
Hi,

I haven't worked in retail before however I worked in a customer sercice environment before my career in HR.

I generally agree with both responses here, but you might also want to consider the use of 360 degree feedback systems.

Good Luck,

Cheers
Michaela