PDA

View Full Version : Performance Appraisal

ryangarret
27-07-2010, 11:24 PM
Although performance appraisals have a lot of benefits, they require a lot of effort for successful implementation. Normally, pay for performance (PRP) along with individual and organizational professional development are among the crucial motivational activities behind it that make it productive.Performance Appraisal Process

However, it’s very first impact on the employees is not very encouraging (most of the times) since they tend to assume that now their performance will be measured/evaluated, resulting in a ‘defensive’ attitude towards evaluation.
Therefore, to make it fruitful, performance expectations (targets) should preferably be discussed with the employees beforehand. Furthermore, alignment of individual performance with organizational goals holds the key to make this system yield positive results.

My question is how can the negative effects of this system be reduced or addressed. This is usually correlated to performance appraisals because if they aren’t being addressed then there is a possibility that the whole purpose behind implementing such a system might be defeated. Would appreciate your views in this regard.

Original Blog Link: Ephlux Blog - Agile Enterprise Business Solutions and Services (http://blog.ephlux.com/index.php/2010/04/performance-appraisal/)

HeidiC
28-07-2010, 12:32 PM
I believe that an open and frank discussion about the prospect of bringing in a performance appraisal system with your employees, will open the way for them to be able to voice any concerns and allow you to introduce the positive aspects of this activity (focus on how it will positively impact on them such as increase in salary/bonus/career path planning/managment feedback on performance etc). If you introduce the possibility of change before actually introducing the change without their buy-in, means that you do not have to back peddle and 'sell' it to them once you have already spent a chunk of the years budget on it.

I know that there is a lot more that can be done between the initial introduction and the implementation, but I feel that if you allow your employees to have an input into this, they will engage more upon the implimentation of the process.

Hope that helps.