PDA

View Full Version : Work/life balance

ali-m
05-07-2010, 08:34 AM
I came across this youtube clip recently where the CEO of Y&R brands talks about work/life balance. I don't know if his employees would be that successful with their work/life balance. What are the employees like at your work?

See the link below.

YouTube - TEDxSydney - Nigel Marsh - Work Life Balance is an Ongoing Battle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXM7MpoVAD0)

A

MIchelleS
05-07-2010, 02:31 PM
If an employee is consistently working outside of normal office hours then there is an issue either with the workload that has been assigned to them or their efficiency in getting their job done.

We keep track of the time employees log out at the end of the day and investigate if there seems to be an ongoing problem. I think some employees feel pressure to work past their normal office hours if they see their colleagues doing the same thing and this is not something we want to encourage ...we want our employees to have a work life balance and give them the tools to get their job done efficiently.

The Y-man
05-07-2010, 03:51 PM
I think where the "balance" lies depends a fair degree on where the employee is at in their lives. eg single/married, kids/no kids/empty nester etc

It can off course also depend on the various priorities one has.

For example, working a ton of overtime is ok IMHO IF the aim is to use this to be non-reliant on income as an employee in the near future.

Unfortunately, for most, the extra money from the hard work is used on consumer goods - and this is where the issues come in.

The Y-man