PDA

View Full Version : Degree or not degree?

lutin_steph
07-05-2010, 11:58 PM
Hello,

I'm currently studying for a Diploma in HR at TAFE. I have a little experience in recruitment.
I am French and intend to stay in Australia.
I am wondering if I should go to uni and get a degree instead or stay at TAFE and get a job and work my way up.
Is a degree essential to a good career?

Thank you

Stephanie

belinda
10-05-2010, 08:54 AM
Stephanie,
To be honest I am not 100% sure if a Degree is actually needed, I got into HR without a degree (started at the Junior level) and then decided to study HR. However if you have a look at a lot of advertisements, they ask for a qualification.

From my own experiences - I skipped the degree - I studied with AHRI and completed the diploma and advanced diploma and then from there was able to continue on and am currently completing my second last subject in Masters of HRM.

Job Media
10-05-2010, 10:44 AM
Stephanie,

Most professional/career jobs nowadays require a degree. Many companies will not even consider you if you don't have a degree, even for entry level HR roles. But even if they would consider you, many of the people you will be competing against for the job will have a degree.

This wasn't the case say 10 - 20 years ago, so you may find plenty of people in HR who don't have a degree, but you will struggle to get very far today without a degree.