PDA

View Full Version : Sick leave after resignation

newaustralian
11-03-2010, 08:35 AM
I recently resigned my current job, and i am fulfilling my notice period at the moment.

I have a question about the medical certificate for sick leave during this period. I had a very bad headache last week for one day and asked for sick leave. but my manager said I had to provide the medical certificate even for just one day during the notice period.

I searched online about the regulations and laws about this but I couldn't find any.

Could anyone tell me if this is true, please?

Thanks in advance!

belinda
12-03-2010, 07:33 AM
Firstly I guess what is your policy, does your company require a medical certificate for 1 day off?

The employer is able to ask for a medical certificate for one day off, however it is normally requested around public holidays, employees taking regular long weekends, etc. Being in your notice period is not a reason to just request one (I believe).

Note: you can submit a stat declaration other then a medical certificate.

rights fighter
08-04-2010, 08:16 PM
I resigned last Thursday. I fell sick this Tuesday and informed the boss by phone and email on the day. The next day I went back, I recieved a letter from her saying, I should provide medical certificate during this period before my last day in the organisation.

As far as I know, no staff was asked for a sick leave certificate, for taking one sick day off. Last time I took a sick day was nine months ago, I got a really bad flu - cold, fever, coughing, lost my voice, couldn't get out of bed, etc. I rang in and said 'I may come in to work if I feel better during the day'. The boss asked me not to come in and spread the virus around. No certificate was required for one day sick leave.
-
Things changed... after I resigned(?)... I was required to do this do that follow this follow that ... constantly being watched... My colleague told me yesterday that she sat on my desktop and checked my emails and looked through files, etc.

I don't know what did I do to deserve this treatment.

:mad: