PDA

View Full Version : Unsure in role - need some advice

jupiter1
05-03-2010, 10:59 AM
I am currently working in a HR consulting role and am unsure of what to do. Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have been employed as a HR Advisor and brought in to concentrate on one client, who is quite difficult to handle at times.

I feel like everytime I attempt to implement something to improve the environment in the organisation, I am shut down.

I have approached my employer, to see if it is possible to exit more from this client and begin to work on the number of other clients that she has. She said that she would look at it, however, I have seen no action to assume that this will happen.

I am very unhappy in this workplace, which is now affecting my personal life, but am unsure as to whether I should stay put and persevere or whether to begin looking for a new role.

Prior to this role I held 2 temporary positions working as a HR Administrator/HR Coordinator and have 2 years HR experience. I am afraid that I will not get another role at the same level, because I don't have the 5 years experience that most people look for in a HR Advisor, but I don't know if taking a step back will be a wise move for future employment.

Can I please get some guidance on how to move forward.

The Y-man
05-03-2010, 03:44 PM
I feel like everytime I attempt to implement something to improve the environment in the organisation, I am shut down.

Sounds like a difficult situation.... BUT before I say "Get the heck out of there for your own sanity and health", a few questions:

1. What do you understand your role to be (eg, in the example above, do you see yourself as providing solutions, or infact implementing them?)

2. what does you employer understand your role to be?

3. What does your customer understand your role to be?

4. Why does the fact that you are "shut down" an issue for you (eg. is it harming your reputation, affecting your self esteem etc?)

The Y-man

Roelie
09-03-2010, 02:48 PM
I would not leave.....but then again, I see obstacles as opportunities. You have an ideal opportunity to gain great experience through trial and error! The difficult times is when one really starts growing and learning to get to know yourself.

Keep on chipping away the boundries and remember....you are a consultant and most probably in an advisory capacity. Keep on advising and keep record of what you have said. You need to build credibility and at some stage the tide will turn.

Good luck