PDA

View Full Version : HR traineeships - are they out there?

bradg
22-01-2010, 10:05 PM
G'day all :)

I'm a 23 year old living in Parramatta, Sydney, employed part-time and currently studying my Certificate IV of Human Resources Management. I have had some minimal exposure to the Human Resources field throughout my HSC , my employment history and studies, however I am seeking currently seeking a HR traineeship.

Unfortunately it seems there's none out there. I understand there's recruitment traineeships and graduate positions aplenty - but I believe "HR" and "Recruitment" are two very different thing - one involves sales, targets and an OTE salary, - one does not. My goal - and ideal career, is as a Human Resources Officer - and beyond. I'm driven, ambitious, highly intelligent and quick to learn, however, understandably so, it's the qualifications and employment history that will count to an Employer - though employers offering traineeships will recruit on the basis of strong personalities, good employment backgrounds and also look highly upon a trainee seeking further education in conjunction with the employment.

Is there anyone out there who would be able to steer me in a clear direction? At the moment i'm afraid that i'm rather lost in the dark with all this.

Regards,
Brad

HRIMHO
08-02-2010, 01:29 PM
Yes, there doesn't seem to be any real structure to HR Traineeships at the moment. There are numerous traineeships that "may" lead you down a HR path, but this appears to be luck more than anything.

State Government's have cadet/trainee programs, but as I mentioned they're generic and you'd need some luck to get into HR - but if you do, it'd be a great start.

Information for Cadets - NSW Department of Premier and Cabinet (http://www.dpc.nsw.gov.au/entrylevelprograms/cadets)

Public Sector Commission - Entry Level Employment Program (http://www.publicsector.wa.gov.au/Services/EmployingPeople/Pages/EntryLevelEmploymentProgram.aspx)

Probably the best way to go about a HR career is an unofficial traineeship. That is, starting at the bottom and working your way up. Look for a job in HR administration or actually payroll or similar. It provides great grounding for a HR career and helps you get those runs on the board. However you have to be somewhat motivated as it doesn't specifically provide for a structured HR induction program!