PDA

View Full Version : Psych graduates in HR

CRandall
13-01-2010, 05:35 PM
Hi everyone,

I have been reading these forums for the past few weeks, and thought I'd take the plunge to ask some questions.

I'm a BA (psychology) student, in my third year of study. I started my degree with the aim to practice clinically, but after being exposed to so many different areas in psychology, have shifted my focus to organisational aspects. I have been researching about HR for a few months now and it has appealed to me, to the point where I want to pursue this further.

I'm interested to know if any HR professionals have, or have hired someone with, a background in psychology. I have heard of psych graduates gaining employment in HR, but am not sure if this is common practice.

Would it be more advantageous for me to study HR management specifically, either through a graduate diploma after my psych degree, Cert IV at TAFE, or by transferring to a university where I can complete a double major? I am so close to finishing my first degree that I don't want to abandon it to transfer completely, especially if it could be of use.

Thank you so much in advance!

CRandall

HRIMHO
15-01-2010, 12:06 PM
In my experience, there are more people in HR with psychology degrees than HR specific degrees. I too am a HR practitioner with a psychology degree and probably similar to you, after wandering aimlessly through the first 2 years of the degree not really seeing myself going mainstream psychology.

I think one of the best things you can do at this stage while still at uni is to take as many org psych based units as you can, or additionally, take management/IR/HR electives from the business school if you're able. If not, not to worry, I didn't think that far ahead.

Second, while still at uni I'd look for some work experience and/or vacation work somewhere in HR if you can get it. You'll hit the ground running when you graduate.

I really wouldn't worry about doing HR specific study straight after your degree. It'd be best to get stuck into an entry-role in HR really and once you get established, perhaps look at going back and doing a Master of HRM (or even an MBA) while you work.

But it's great to read that you're looking into such a career path... it's exactly what I did and have never looked back.

CRandall
16-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Thank you so much HRIMHO for your response, it has allayed my fears!

Sadly the School of Psychology just scrapped the only org. psych unit available to undergrads this semester, but I still have time to look into choosing some electives from the School of Business.

I've checked out the AHRI website and am signing up for a student membership. I understand that there are work placement opportunities posted there, but are there any other ways I could look for work placements (is cold emailing companies an option?) The only work placements currently offered at uni are research ones.

I'm very excited to get started! Thank you again.

PsychWorks
18-01-2010, 03:18 PM
It may be worthwhile, following completion of your psych major (degree), to then do your honours in psych then masters in organisational psych (to get registered as a psychologist). This would open up a few avenues namely to either practice as an independent org psych (or work for one) or to be an inhouse resource as a psychologist with a large corporate. Opportunities would exist in consulting (org change), coaching, leadership development, psychometric testing and other aspects such as Employee Assistance (to use your clinical skills) and Outplacement to name just a few things. I suppose it depends whether becoming a psychologist is important to you or whether moving to an HR focus is more appealing. If you choose HR, having your psych degree will hold you in good stead and will open up some doors. My advice is to try and think about your longer term prospects / desires and then pick up the post grad option(s) that fit with the decision.

Regards

Chris St Clair

CRandall
22-02-2010, 10:06 PM
It may be worthwhile, following completion of your psych major (degree), to then do your honours in psych then masters in organisational psych (to get registered as a psychologist). This would open up a few avenues namely to either practice as an independent org psych (or work for one) or to be an inhouse resource as a psychologist with a large corporate. Opportunities would exist in consulting (org change), coaching, leadership development, psychometric testing and other aspects such as Employee Assistance (to use your clinical skills) and Outplacement to name just a few things. I suppose it depends whether becoming a psychologist is important to you or whether moving to an HR focus is more appealing. If you choose HR, having your psych degree will hold you in good stead and will open up some doors. My advice is to try and think about your longer term prospects / desires and then pick up the post grad option(s) that fit with the decision.

Regards

Chris St Clair

Thank you Chris for your response and insight into org psych; I am very sorry for the late reply.

I am considering taking honours after I finish this year, as long as I maintain my GPA for acceptance. I would apply elsewhere for the Masters however, as a Masters of clinical psych is only available at my uni. Unfortunately all the organisational psych subjects for my degree have just been axed as well, but I am undertaking HR subjects as electives, which I am very excited about.

I have also been looking into internships in HR as advertised through my universities career program. I hope to finish my undergraduate with strong marks so I have more options available to me.

Thank you both again for your responses :)