PDA

View Full Version : Where to next?

HRLINE
24-11-2009, 07:46 PM
I have predominatly worked in hotels, always had an interest in HR. I have started the hotel HR department, it is for around 50 employees. I started my HR degree by correspondance, but still have a bit to go. I am wanting to now get experience under a HR professional, but not looking to go into HR administrator role. Does anyone have advice on changing industry, such as trying out a large banking firm, or should I just try staying in what I know, hotels?

belinda
26-11-2009, 11:34 AM
You need to decide if you are happy to stay within the hotels industry, which is where most of your knowledge would be from, I am gathering. However if you are interested in another industry, than you can always move.

If you have not worked in HR before you will need to start off in a low level HR position, however if you have worked in HR before you can transfer that knowledge from one industry to the next.

I have moved from Automotive Finance, Hospitality and now Engineering/Manufacturing industry.

Karan Suji
23-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Hi Belinda,

I am really confused at this point, i have cpmpleted my bachelors in hospitality management, now recently i have completed my certificate III in commercial cookery, working as a duty chef in a restaurant,i had planned to do masters in human resource but can not make up my mind weather is a good option to go for masters as my age at the moment is 25 by the time i finish my masters will be 27 will than i get jobs as i am really scared of age or should i just do a diploma in human resource and try getting jobs first

belinda
29-12-2009, 08:37 AM
Karen

You need to weigh up the pros and cons of whether to study now or get a position in HR now.
- What jobs are available now in HR?
- Do I need qualifications to get the position? Or can I say currently study?

If you don't have any experience in HR you will need to start in a Junior position. You could always get a position in HR and study part time or via distant education.

I am currently working full time and studying my Masters in HRM via distant education.

Not sure if this helps at all.