PDA

View Full Version : Getting a job interstate

Jobseeking
06-11-2009, 01:02 PM
Following on my thread about blacklisting, I wanted to get some advice about getting a job interstate. I'm currently on the Gold Coast and feel that I've exhausted all my options both here and in Brisbane and have decided that I'm going to look at starting my career in either Sydney or Melbourne.

What is the best way to go about this? Would I be better off making the move first or should I just apply for every job I'm suited for while I'm still up here? I'm hoping that companies with interstate offices will allow me to do interviews via video conferencing (if they do that) and then wherever I get a start that's where I'll relocate to.

Any advice on this idea?

HRIMHO
06-11-2009, 03:09 PM
I would assume that companies would much prefer to interview you face to face. Video conferencing is possible of course, but I would think they'd only go down that path for somewhat senior positions. Obviously it wouldn't hurt to apply then wait for a call - you can then decide if it's worth going down to Melb/Syd for an interview even.

Just rocking up in either city without a job though might be difficult, who knows how long you'll need to pay for a house etc before getting an income.

I'd probably suggest staying where you are, applying for stuff and seeing how you go. If you're getting a lot of interest, then take the risk and move down there!

kevinh
09-11-2009, 03:23 PM
Assuming you are likely to competing with local candidates, my advice would be to make it no more difficult for an employer to interview you compared with a local candidate.

That means being prepared to get on a plane. What some people do is apply for a bunch of jobs and in their application letter say they will be visiting Melbourne shortly for interviews, they sometimes specify dates. Whatever you do you must make it clear that you are willing to attend a face to face interview.

I know this means you have to spend quite a bit of money, but the reality is that unless you are a stand-out candidate and clearly better than the local applicants, then most employers (and recruiters) are likely to give preference to the local people. It's just less hassle for them and there is less risk of if not working out in the long term because of re-settlement problems.

poktryn09
10-12-2009, 07:43 PM
This is good site to watch.I found it informative as I have been researching a lot lately on such matters such as you talk about.