PDA

View Full Version : advice sought on graduate positions

workaholic
26-10-2009, 12:15 AM
Hi,

I have just graduated from uni, and managed to get an offer for a grad program at British and American Tobacco. The role sounds very good, and they have promised lots of training and support. However, I am having reservations about the nature of the industry. Personally, I do not have moral issues, but I do not want to jump into a company that may taint my future prospects in other companies.

Do you think it is a good idea for a new grad to start a career in such as controversial field? Will this hinder me getting jobs in the future? I don't plant o work for the Dept of health or anything, but other big, multinationals in business.

kevinh
26-10-2009, 02:14 PM
This is an interesting question. I have actually employed someone in the past who had worked at BAT and I didn't really give it much thought at the time, but BAT have had a lot more negative press since then.

Although it would be nice to think that it wouldn't make a jot of difference, my own personal view is that discrimination on a sub-conscious level is much more common than most people would admit and that's what I would be concerned about. You never know what personal prejudices might exist which might result in you not getting an interview, particularly if there are other strong candidates.

Certainly there are many less contentious companies that you could work for.

HRIMHO
26-10-2009, 04:53 PM
I completely agree with Kevin. It might not make a difference, but it won't help and it brings the subconscious into it.

If possible, I'd look for something else if you could - particularly as a graduate, it'll be the ONLY thing on your resume - if you could hide it amongst other things, it might not be as bad.

HeidiC
28-10-2009, 02:55 PM
Personally, I would jump at the role.

When you are unemployed and competing with the over supply of HR practitioners and little to no demand in the job market, you wouldn't be too fussy about who offers you the opportunities that BAT is offering you. I was made redundant 4 months ago - I'll trade you!

Really, all you need to do is emphasie the opportunities and experience that you will gain in this large multi-national company - don't trade on the name if you feel it will hinder you.

Mark D
28-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Working for a multinational always looks great on your resume, no matter the industry. My early employers were rapers and pillagers of the land and forests and it hasn't hurt my career at all.

Tag44
28-10-2009, 04:59 PM
It doesn't matter in what field and in which industry you are working, the thing matter is whats your performance and output you are giving in that company and be honest to work in multi national company always increase your level.

Pete
30-10-2009, 05:43 AM
It's a vexed issue, personally I wouldn't want to be in the position you are in - needing a job and having a good offer, but within an industry of "ill-repute". As Heidi alluded to, it's quite easy for those of us with established careers and (hopefully) safe jobs to make a moral rather than practical judgement.

In the end you have to weigh up the opportunities and experience they are offerring, after all, in the future you will be selling yourself and your skills, not the places you worked for - logically, if you are applying for other jobs in other industry, you are by definition leaving the tobacco industry (potentially having "seen the light"!).

Call me a cynic - but considering what got the world into this whole recession, I don't think you need to worry about many multinationals making hiring decisions based on a moral evaluation of where candidates have worked previously!

On the downside, I work in the health industry, where many people have a moral bias against the tobacco industry. When one of my junior colleagues a few years back moved to a tobacco co. for a great opportunity, a number of the people that had been his friends treated him as if he had gone to the "dark side".

kevinh
30-10-2009, 07:09 AM
Call me a cynic - but considering what got the world into this whole recession, I don't think you need to worry about many multinationals making hiring decisions based on a moral evaluation of where candidates have worked previously!

The problem is, it's not usually multinationals that discriminate, it's the individuals involved in the hiring process.

.... a number of the people that had been his friends treated him as if he had gone to the "dark side".

My point exactly. How do you think these people would view a job applicant who is currently working for a tobacco company?

HRIMHO
30-10-2009, 11:13 AM
I think that the percentage of Aussies who smoke is down at about 12% or something like that. In simple terms, means you are in an industry which 88% of people are somewhat against, either morally or just by different choice. I know that all non-smokers don't discriminate, but when you're looking at such a large base, "there is always one... or a hundred".

There is reward in taking the job. There is risk. Can't seperate the two no matter how hard you try. A Graduate job is for a couple of years... a career is for perhaps 40 years, make sure you consider that.

But good luck with your choice. At least you have a choice :)