PDA

View Full Version : New career at 45

Mak
28-09-2009, 01:30 PM
Hi

I am currently completing my Diploma in HR management at MSIT Tafe Queensland, and looking to get work in Brisbane. I hope to go on to uni to do a degree next year in HRM. Any suggestions where I should start looking to get work experience in HR?

Mark D
28-09-2009, 04:18 PM
What's your pre-HR work background? Your best bet would be to look at industries you have worked in previously, as the combination of hands-on industry experience and HR qualifications will assist I'd imagine.

Mak
28-09-2009, 06:34 PM
I have always been self employed, mainly in retail and now I manage a few taxis. I am struggling to make a start somewhere.

Argo
04-02-2010, 07:34 AM
Mak - hang in there. Your background will be a differentiator within the HR market and whilst you may have a few things to pick up quickly, your level of commercial acumen and ability to inform business decision making will be a great asset. It will be important that your resume and overall employment pitch reflects this too. Don't underestimate how important your life experience will be when influencing senior people within an HR context.

Good luck.