PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Melbourne- Where do I start?

Laydeeblu
25-09-2009, 10:05 PM
Hi All

I am moving to Melbourne in the next few months and worried sick about the job market!!!!

I am currently working for a printing company in the UK as HR Adviser (3 years) however I been working in the HR field in the UK since 2002. I am CIPD qualified (only just completed it) and I am also a graduate member of the CIPD.

Am I am being too ambitious when aiming for HR Senior Adviser/ Manager Positions in Melbourne?

Would retaining CIPD membership help me in Australia?

Someone mentioned reformatting my CV the Aussie way. Where do I start?

How do I go about getting a good understanding of the Australian legislation? Are there any courses that can get me up to speed with HR practices/ legislation in Australia?

Also, are CIPD qualifications are recognised in Australia by employers, or is it necessary to get the Australian equivalent? If so, what is the Australian equivalent?

If someone has an interest in coming to the UK, I would be more than happy to answer any questions.

Thanks so much :)

HRinAustralia
29-09-2009, 12:54 PM
The job market isn't that bad and it's on the improve... so be positive :)

Am I am being too ambitious when aiming for HR Senior Adviser/ Manager Positions in Melbourne?
Yes and no. As has been discussed elsewhere on these forums, what is in a title? Not much sometimes, so sure, go for them kind of roles. The only problem might be your legislative knowledge. A senior HR person would be relied upon to have a reasonable knowledge of employment frameworks that effect staff in that organisation. If you can't be the go-to person in this situation, it may impede you a bit, or at least for a few months. That being said, it shouldn't be that hard to learn. In fact, many people are continually having to re-learn it at the moment given the changes to Workplace Relations laws in the last few years. I'm sure given your experience you'll pick it up in no time.

Thus perhaps aiming for 6 months of HR Advisor'ish type positions might help you get a feel for Australian HR and then after that, go for the manager positions. But if you feel ready now, give it a crack :)

Unfortunately probably not. I'd still highlight your experience and achievements in this to a prospective employer, but I doubt it will be any value long term.

Can't say I know that there is a difference!

How do I go about getting a good understanding of the Australian legislation? Are there any courses that can get me up to speed with HR practices/ legislation in Australia?
I'm sure there are many... at least have a squizz at the Government websites (i.e. Fair Work Australia) and go from there. Otherwise law firms seem to run seminars on this.

Also, are CIPD qualifications are recognised in Australia by employers, or is it necessary to get the Australian equivalent? If so, what is the Australian equivalent?
There are no real requirements for qualifications in HR in Australia. If you have a qualification at all, all the better! The Australian equivalent is the Australian Human Resource Institute (AHRI), however there are much lesser qualification requirements.

Good luck with it all. Get to HR networking functions (through AHRI or similar), contact recruitment companies - particularly ones related to HR, keep an eye out on job sites (Seek) and just get out there!

Laydeeblu
05-10-2009, 06:06 PM
Many thanks for taking the time to give me some pointers! Much appreciated! :)

The job market isn't that bad and it's on the improve... so be positive :)

Yes and no. As has been discussed elsewhere on these forums, what is in a title? Not much sometimes, so sure, go for them kind of roles. The only problem might be your legislative knowledge. A senior HR person would be relied upon to have a reasonable knowledge of employment frameworks that effect staff in that organisation. If you can't be the go-to person in this situation, it may impede you a bit, or at least for a few months. That being said, it shouldn't be that hard to learn. In fact, many people are continually having to re-learn it at the moment given the changes to Workplace Relations laws in the last few years. I'm sure given your experience you'll pick it up in no time.

Thus perhaps aiming for 6 months of HR Advisor'ish type positions might help you get a feel for Australian HR and then after that, go for the manager positions. But if you feel ready now, give it a crack :)

Unfortunately probably not. I'd still highlight your experience and achievements in this to a prospective employer, but I doubt it will be any value long term.

Can't say I know that there is a difference!

I'm sure there are many... at least have a squizz at the Government websites (i.e. Fair Work Australia) and go from there. Otherwise law firms seem to run seminars on this.

There are no real requirements for qualifications in HR in Australia. If you have a qualification at all, all the better! The Australian equivalent is the Australian Human Resource Institute (AHRI), however there are much lesser qualification requirements.

Good luck with it all. Get to HR networking functions (through AHRI or similar), contact recruitment companies - particularly ones related to HR, keep an eye out on job sites (Seek) and just get out there!

CherylS
18-10-2009, 09:02 PM
having worked in HR in both Australia and the UK, i can confirm that the CIPD qualification is not recognised here as anything other than further study. It's not like the UK where you pretty much have to have it to go anywhere in HR.

I agree with HRinAustralia, I would get some contract or temp work first until you feel a bit more comfortable unless you get a senior role in something like recruitment where your skills will be easily transferable.

I would definately check our the AHRI website.