PDA

View Full Version : Attacking the Job Market and Workplace Proactively in Tough Times: A Roundup of Expert Advice

BriscoeSearch
13-09-2009, 02:50 PM
We asked job and career experts for tips on how workers and job-seekers can take a proactive stance to improve their jobs and careers, even in a tough economic climate -- and we got an earful. We asked experts to complete this sentence: "If you could offer one piece of advice for how workers and job-seekers can be proactive regarding their jobs and careers at this difficult time, it would be ________________________."

Here's what they said:

Network
Excel in Your Job
Update and Optimize Your Resume
Polish Your Interviewing Skills
Make a Plan
Know and Leverage Your Strengths and Accomplishments
Update Your Skills
Remain Flexible
Be Persistent
Market and Differentiate Yourself
Consider Becoming a Free Agent
Adjust your Mindset, Fight Fear, and Take Action

Read more (http://www.briscoesearch.com.au/about-us/latest-news/46-job-hunting-in-the-downturn)- love to hear your thoughts on this- do you agree?

Roelie
21-12-2009, 10:10 AM
Maybe a few more:
Positive thinking
Internal locus of control
Don't wait ....go and seek
Make every interaction (cover letter etc.) personal to that industry/job/culture etc
Improve EQ....much more important than IQ
Spend time visualising interview and practise to answer all posible questions and more.
Work on a marketing tool (that sales pitch) which you can use after you have answered all their questions.
Remeber to focus on the value you can add
Dress the part
Dress the part

bradg
22-01-2010, 09:52 PM
One of the most straight-forward logics that seem to have never failed me in my experience is 'reverse thinking' - that is;

-Ask yourself - "What would I look for and what sort of person would I hire?"

-Put yourself into the employers head as best as possible and make sure you're filling their criteria as best as you possibly can. If you can, use that as the strength of your interview.

-What questions would I ask an employee i would be hiring for this position? Answer your own questions - and you'll be surprised - the employer will most likely ask you something akin the exact same thing if you've thought the position through.

Armed with that - you won't be lost with words and will be able to walk into the door with the #1 most important thing;

-Confidence.

Because there's an age old saying - 'unconfidence leads to incompetence.'