PDA

View Full Version : SWMS's

KymG
06-06-2009, 07:06 PM
I am relatively new to the practical side of OHS although I have completed a Cert IV in OHS.

I gained some much needed experience on a very large construction job. THe company running the project had really good SWMS and ongoing task evaluations. I now find myself working with another organisation with SWMS that are I think pretty ordinary - certainly not to the same standard as the my previous experience.

The reason that I have been given for 'ordinary' SWMS is that if they are too complicated people won't read them. I find this a pretty unacceptable reason for doing poor SWMS.

I am conscious of all the legal ramifications of not folllowing OHS guidelines properly.

What are you experiences with SWMS and what do you think is appropriate - too much or just enough.

kevinh
07-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Kym,

In what way are the SWMS's poor ?

And what's the site induction training like?

Regards,
Kevin

KymG
07-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Kevin,

They are poor for the because they tend to be very generic for a range of tasks, they list a range of PPE but not that which is specific to the task, they ask that staff have the appropriate licenses / permits to operate / certificate but again nothing specific to the task.

Each particular activity / process within a task is not spelt out. For example at the beginning there is a list of all the PPE gear (same for every job - vest, gloves, steel cap boots etc.) but the SWMS doesn't specify in all cases what PPE to use.

This, to my mind leaves the decision as to just what to use in the eye of the user -

"gee I didn't know I had to wear a hard hat / gloves".

The SWMS should list each part of a task, the hazards, risks and what can and should be done to prevent injury.

One SWMS that springs to mind deals with using a boat and it is really generic. Something along the lines of:

Take boat to water - ensure trailer attached to vehicle properly.

Launch boat - wear PFD

Do tasks

Retrieve boat.

And this SWMS like all the others, does mention the licences, permits etc required but doesn't mention anything specific to this particular task, That is a bit brief but I cannot remember all of it but gives you the gist

As far as Induction is concerned, there is a general staff induction which all staff get. I am what is described as 'indoor' staff - ie not out on the tools although I am involved in Project Management and do see what is going on. I do not know what induction training 'outdoor' staff get.

I did show some concern when I saw what I thought were unsafe practices going on and went about dealing with it the wrong way - ouch - steep learning curve.

Sorry for the long winded reply

Kym