PDA

View Full Version : Hi all

lukohr
30-04-2009, 11:11 AM
Hi all,
Let i explain myself..
I completed my Bachelor Degree and Post Graduate Diploma degree in Human Resources area, after my qualification i am also having 4 + years of Experience in Core HR department - its manufacturing sector consist of 1200+ employees. All this qualification and experience are in India. By last year Aug i migrated to Australia as Permanent Resident.
I processed my visa appliacation in HR qualification and experience. I eveluated and assesed in VETASSESS.
Here I completed my Diploma of Human Resources course in NTIS. Along with this I also applying for many jobs all over Australia (position Applying for HR Officer / HR Generalist) But until now i not received any proper reply, waiting at least for any Interview but the result is NO...
What I really need to do now....
Waiting for your valuable reply

PatriciaS
30-04-2009, 12:14 PM
Hi,

There's alot of slack recruitment agencies and employers out there who don't afford the courtesy of a response, of simply send the computer generated response of you don't have the right qualifications - which I find quite amusing if you hold an MBA in HR Management and do have the relevant experience.

I would suggest that you try and approach employers directly as recruitment agencies in this country won't be of too much help as you are a foriegner. This may not be a popular opinion but time and time again, I have seen experienced, intelligent, and qualified candidates not get a look in because they aren't a) Australian or b) are told they don't have Australian experience.

Not sure of which part of the world you are from, but I have an HR colleague who is American, has American qualifications and experience and has also got Australian recruitment experience as well as an MBA in HR Management (which most here do not) and cannot get a job matching his experience and skills in Australia and he is American! speaks English and had done the hard slog in the US and is up to date with the current practice of HR globally.

He is so disillusioned that he is searching for employment outside HR. I can only wish you the best of luck as I have had employers bypass many good and qualified resume's because of surnames or nationality.

I wish you the best of luck.

Midaz Coaching & Consulting
30-04-2009, 12:35 PM
At the moment there are definitely more applicants looking for roles than their are candidates to organisations and recruitment agencies have the luxury of being very pedantic about their selection of people to short list. I agree with Patricia that there are also a lot of people that do not bother to reply to applicants or keep them informed throughout the process.

Because there are so many candidates out there you need to remain current and consider some 'out of the box' solutions. Think about what might make you a more attractive candidate and where your unique skills and background might be of value to an employer. Have you considered offering to undertake unpaid work to gain Australian experience? Over recent times there has been a lot of talk about call centres and manufactoring being "outsourced to India". Why not find out what business use outsourced services and see if you can provide some free consulting advice or insight to their HR departments. You have insider knowledge of the culture, the HR practices and the systems used that could be of immense value.

Good luck with your search.
Mary-Leigh

PatriciaS
30-04-2009, 12:45 PM
Hi Mary-Leigh,

Whilst I agree with you, its very difficult to undertake unpaid work when you need the money to survive, are not entitled to unemployment benefits as you are not an Australian Citizen!

It's a shame that good candidates are being wasted and not being given a shot because those that quite often recruit in for instance, HR positions are not HR qualified themselves and these are the people who are the ones that pass on CV's to potential employers.

I feel for my HR colleague as he is more qualified than alot of so called HR professionals out there and does have unique experience not only as a generalist but in training and L&D.

Perhaps I need to think a little more out of the box, But what would you recommend I suggest to this colleague to get someone to give him a shot? :D

30-04-2009, 01:03 PM
I agree that there are some fantastic candidates out there that are being overlooked. In a lot of cases is it a case of the networks you are in and the people that can open doors for you.

I have always liked to give people a go and in one organisation I had a "cadet" style program that involved HR students (they were in their last year) working with me on a voluntary basis for about 12 - 20 hours a week (dependent on their availability) and I also hired them to work in another part of the organisation so they were getting paid employment as well. Being in a large hotel was helpful because they could do their shifts outside of office hours (and uni time). It was also good for them to learn how to interact positively with other staff while having to maintain a professional and confidential approach to there HR practice.

If your colleague would like to explore some options, please encourage him to contact me for a complimentary coaching session.

Mary-Leigh

lukohr
02-05-2009, 11:04 AM
Thank you Pedantic & Mary-Leigh,

Yes what you both said is correct, there are so many people who presently looking for job (including me).. maily as like Pedantic's friend case its really make to feel sad..

Even as like Mary said i applied for Unpaid jobs.. i don't know where my face shows recruiter to feel Negative.

By starting of April I received one call from Alice springs (NT), the message is "We have scheduled interview for you the position is HR Officer, its on Apr-2nd" for that call i said, thanks and confirmed the time.
As like their words they called me and interview conducted through Phone for 1 hr.. at the end of the interview I asked for feed back.. Panel persons said we feel satisfied & result will be called to you with in next week. Till yesterday I not received any calls from that employer.. I don't know what to do.. in between i send 2 mails stating that waiting for your response.. but there is no response..

From my past experience I very well know what are the process in recruitment, how long it take to conclude for applications (even i have shortlisted many applications in my past experience) But while coming to my own case its makes me too hard for no proper response and replies..

Once a all thank you both to give me a valuable tips..

HOPE for BEST RESULTS..

Moz
02-05-2009, 07:00 PM
lukohr,

If your correspondence with prospective employers is anything like your posts on this forum then I can understand why you are not getting past first base. I'm not trying to be unkind here, but your spelling is atrocious and you don't even start your sentences with capital letters!

These things are important to a lot of the people who will be assessing your applications. As for recruitment agencies, their role is to find the very best person for their client (the employer), and they use things like spelling as a filter.

I do think it is very rude not to acknowledge applications, providing the applications are relevant, but this failing is not the sole preserve of recruiters as there are plenty of employers who take the view that they should only reply to applicants who are shortlisted, and this of course is down to HR.

PatriciaS,

It is difficult to know why your friend is not having any luck with his applications, but bear in mind that it is a tough market right now and your friend is probably competing with local senior HR execs who have been retrenched through no fault of their own. These are people who have local knowledge and many years of experience, local referees and local networks. It would be a pretty risky move right now to employ someone with very little local experience in preference to some very good local candidates.

Is he perhaps getting a bad reference from his previous Australian employer? (is his local experience recent?)

By the way, if he expresses the same views as you, that HR in Australia is way behind the USA, that won't help his case!

Moz

lukohr
03-05-2009, 09:01 PM
Dear Moz,

Yes what you said is correct, But while I posting my applications / any formal letter to employer I use to correct my spellings and grammar. I know what will be the expectations from Employer. Here for posting reasons i did like that. Any way thanks for giving me a worthy point.

Moz
04-05-2009, 01:40 PM
Dear Moz,

Yes what you said is correct, But while I posting my applications / any formal letter to employer I use to correct my spellings and grammar.

lukohr, why not use good spelling and grammar all the time? it's a good habit to get into.

Also, have you ever considered that HR hiring decision makers read these forums?
Obviously they don't know who you are, but what if one of them saw your background and felt that your experience could be useful for their business. They might consider contacting you but may be put off because it appears from your posts that your written English is poor

Food for thought ;)

PatriciaS
04-05-2009, 05:53 PM
lukohr,

If your correspondence with prospective employers is anything like your posts on this forum then I can understand why you are not getting past first base. I'm not trying to be unkind here, but your spelling is atrocious and you don't even start your sentences with capital letters!

These things are important to a lot of the people who will be assessing your applications. As for recruitment agencies, their role is to find the very best person for their client (the employer), and they use things like spelling as a filter.

I do think it is very rude not to acknowledge applications, providing the applications are relevant, but this failing is not the sole preserve of recruiters as there are plenty of employers who take the view that they should only reply to applicants who are shortlisted, and this of course is down to HR.

PatriciaS,

It is difficult to know why your friend is not having any luck with his applications, but bear in mind that it is a tough market right now and your friend is probably competing with local senior HR execs who have been retrenched through no fault of their own. These are people who have local knowledge and many years of experience, local referees and local networks. It would be a pretty risky move right now to employ someone with very little local experience in preference to some very good local candidates.

Is he perhaps getting a bad reference from his previous Australian employer? (is his local experience recent?)

By the way, if he expresses the same views as you, that HR in Australia is way behind the USA, that won't help his case!

Moz

Moz,

The market is tough right now this is true without a doubt, but I also happen to know that I don't get too many candidates applying for jobs that have his qualifications or his experience also. His experience is current and his current employer values him as an employee but also realises that as far as skill and experience goes, he is above what he is doing at the moment.

Unfortunately Moz the truth may hurt and this is the case with HR practice in this country - it is behind what is being practised in the US and those that keep up with global/international HR know this is true. Although another thing is expressing this opinion to a potential employer - which of course he hasn't. This is one reason why HR professionals in this country would find it almost impossible to get an HR Manager's job in the US, experience or not, they want qualifications more than anything and an MBA in HR Management means more than 4 years experience in some mediocre smallish employer who includes Payroll as part of its HR department.

lukohr
05-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Moz,

Yes, I admit my mistakes (what I done in this posting). Your reply and posting is correct I came from Non-English speaking Country (English is my second language). Now I am trying to improve my communication by engaging my self in some voluntary works. Apart from communication what I need to do.

PatriciaS,

Thanks a lot for wish, yes even I study the present market status, but still presently I am seeing many jobs are available in Job hunting sites, for all my applications the standard response is “Your application is unsuccessful.” What I am saying here is instead of such response they can say the reason why my application is not success; at least they can explain this while I making call for requesting the feedback. To be honest Patricia now I am in the stage by thinking to switch to some other profession. Even I have qualification in Computer Science; I not even tried in such other fields. I love this profession. Before applying for Australian Visa I checked with VETASSESS and analysed the job opportunity in HR, it says my qualification and experience will worthy to acquire jobs in Australia. After hearing such reply only I applied my visa and migrated here.

Even now I checked with my friends (working in HR) in INDIA, they also said the same like what you said “presently the Market is tough”. I understand that. But thinking to change profession is bit hard and feels depress.

Thanks for your response PatriciaS.

08-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Hi Patricia, have you considered that it may not be HR that is behind the times but corporate and business in general? The HR circle of influence is only part of a great machine and some people don't understand the value that HR can therefore, they are not looking for experience people that can add value, they want junior people to be transactional. This is a generalisation but certainly my experience in some organisations is that HR is a misunderstood profession and a great deal of time is spent "educating and massaging" the key stakeholders. I have had the misfortune and luxury of working in both reactive transactional organisations and proactive evolved organisations.
I believe a lot is being done to drive the industry forward and gain the professional recognition that should be afforded to HR. We have some of the best MBA programs in the world and people come here from the states (and indeed many other countries) to participate in our programs. As a group of professionals we need to work together on how we can combat both the lack of understanding and the parochial behaviours in some businesses.
A good discussion, Moz and Patricia, but I think we have have moved away from Lukour's topic so maybe it is time to start a new discussion thread with different focus. I'm sure that there are other members that would like to join in but they can't see it in this thread... Just an idea if you wish to keep the thoughts flowing.

Cheers
Mary-Leigh

Admin note: As suggested another thread has been started to discuss comparisons between US and Australian HR practice - to continue that discussion please do so here http://www.hrbuzz.com.au/showthread.php?t=2717