PDA

View Full Version : Online Advertising

GradMan
23-11-2008, 06:58 PM
I'm currently looking at adverting spaces for next year, Ill probably use some of the usual job boards like mycareer, seek, and careerhub, but I'm finding them all a bit over croweded and hard to stand out. I know I need to be online as that's how grads apply and it's just where grads are looking for jobs but I'm not sure what the best means of online advertising are. I know companies are doing FaceBook but I don't really know how I can use it effectively. Ill probably go with UniGrad again, and I've found another online directory from GradConnection where they use FaceBook and Google to advertise. I'm waiting to spend more of my online budget on other means than job boards, what are other people doing? Any advice?

tshaw
24-11-2008, 11:16 AM
My advice would be to take 1 step back and look at where the candidates have come from this year/last year. Then ask the candidates where they would look. Think in the mind of a gradudate.

What type of graduates are you seeking? As it may be more beneficial to target niche job boards or sites that are relevant to that particular industry.

Blanket graduate advertising on major job boards can give you exposure - but targeting to the particular roles may prove more benificial.

As for facebook/social networking - you can do it yourself by setting up a group and then PPC (pay per click advertising).

UniGrad is over rated. You could get more exposure by using Hippo.com.au to target the demographics.

I have heard of GradConnection before, but have not seen any examples of what they have created.

mspecht
29-11-2008, 07:17 AM
I would agree with tshaw look at where your current grad's came from but also go ask them directly what they think.

Facebook/social networks in general are very good places to advertise as Grads hang out there. According to the latest Forrester research 63% of Gen Y's participate in a social network of some sort at least once a month, but remember they are there to connect with each other not to apply for jobs.

I would also question why do you feel you must advertise online? Not that you shouldn't but if you are having to advertise for grad online maybe a broader branding activity is required? I know of high-tech companies that are spending a lot of time engaging with graduates in an offline way, attending both traditional grad fairs but also not so traditional events. For example in Melbourne there is an entrepreneur group called The Hive which meets monthly and has around 100 people attending. The group is full of smart, switched on business and marketing graduates all wanting to do something.