PDA

View Full Version : Re-entering the workforce

chris g
12-11-2008, 06:40 PM
Hi there,
I am very keen to re-enter the workforce after a very long break of 13 years raising a family. I have 16 years HR experience, seven of which were in a senior role with an international company so I was on the regional management committee. However after all this time I have lost my network and to a certain extent some confidence. The main question I have is "How much has HR changed in the last 13 years"? obviously I understand there are legislative changes but have there been any other major changes. HR in my last company was very much a strategic partner in the business and I had a "dotted" reporting line to our parent company in the U.S. so I consider that a very big plus but understand it has been a long time.
Probably my biggest mistake has been in not undertaking any HR studies in recent years as I was so involved in volunteer work and didn't really think I would ever go back into HR. If anyone has any ideas or information about courses that would help upgrade my skills (as quickly as possible) I would be very appreciative.

HeidiC
01-12-2008, 01:21 PM
I would suggest that you join AHRI and go to some of their workshops. It will also assist you in regaining your confidence and network.

I have only been in HR for 5 years, so I cannot comment on how much it has changed since you were last in the workforce, but with the changes I have noticed I would probably say that is has changed quite a bit.

Companies are having to be much more flexible and innovative when it comes to recruiting and retaining staff. Work/life balance has come into the forefont of HR innovation and thought. Dealing with Gen Y in the workforce is also very different to any other generation and I suggest reading 'Generation Y' by Peter Sheahan.

It is very competitive in the HR industry at the moment and I would suggest that you do some extra study with AHRI to update your qualifications. I wish you the best of luck and I hope a company will see the value of your experience soon!

chris g
01-12-2008, 02:07 PM
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond Heidi. I think you are quite right about updating my qualifications and I am planning to do the AHRI Professional Diploma next year, and I will look out for the book you recommended. Thanks again.

HeidiC
01-12-2008, 04:12 PM
Good Luck! I plan on doing the same course next year!

Moz
02-12-2008, 08:26 AM
Chris,
In recent years I have employed numerous women who have returned to the workforce after starting a family. Almost universally they all found they had lost their confidence and I would say they were all surprised at how much they had forgotten, even with fundamentals such as using common computer applications.

So in addition to updating your HR quals I would suggest you also make sure your computing skills are up to scratch, particularly in with common Microsoft Outlook applications such as Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint (probably in that order of importance). Knowledge of such common business applications is taken for granted by many employers (or at least managers) and not knowing your way around these tools would be an additional challenge to the HR/business learning curve.

Most corporates will still be using the 2003 versions of Microsoft applications (the 2007 version looks quite different although the functionality is pretty much the same). You may of course have kept up to date with this, but if not do some courses and start using the products at home if you don't already.

Good luck!

Moz

chris g
02-12-2008, 08:51 AM
Thanks Moz, appreciate the feedback.