PDA

View Full Version : Cracking that first HR role...

PaulC
11-06-2008, 02:24 PM
Hi all, great forum!

I was just hoping to get some general / hypothetical feedback on what you think my chances are.

I'm in Melbourne, and after years of thought I've finally researched and settled on my chosen career, obviously HR.

Here's the catch - I don't have an HR qualification or HR experience. Yet.

(Oh no, not another newbie trying to break into HR?!)

I'm working on the qualification bit, as I've recently completed a Certificate IV in Business (London) and since moving to Melbourne I've started a Diploma in HR (TAFE correspondence) and I plan to go on to a degree from there.

My experience lies mostly administration / co-ordination roles in finance and real estate. I've got some big name companies on my resume, which hopefully should help. (most of my work life has been in London)

The plan is to find either temp or permanent HR Assistant, HR Administrator and entry level roles, gain as much experience as I possibly can and work my way up from there.

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone in HR as I'm fairly new to Australia, so Networking isn't proving to be much of a help at the moment, but I've signed on with a couple of agencies (who weren't exactly jumping up and down to sign me on because of lack of experience) and trawled "Seek" and "My Career" as well as a few Melbourne based sites.

I knew that HR was going to be a difficult industry to get into, I did my homework, but reading a lot of graduate's experiences in struggling to break into the industry, I'm starting to wonder whether it's going to be harder than I thought as I'm competing with these graduates.

In your experience, do you think recruiters or HR managers would consider a worldly wise, hungry and hard working human amongst the HR or Business graduates?

If you have any tips, I would be most grateful!

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to any replies or opinions.

PC.

HR_Shaun
11-06-2008, 11:34 PM
Hi Paul,
First of all, great job on being motivated and actively pursuing a career path that you like. Although I'm in WA, I would suggest the possibility of seeking initial employment with a government body as there generally is always a need to find another hand in areas such as recruitment and organisation structuring (often referred to as establishment). They are a great place to gain entry level positions, stability, and skill up in an area while continuing further studies. That said, you may find similar opportunity within the private sector. Proactivity is the name of the game though, if you can meet with a HR manager or an employee relations officer (anyone in that higher HR level) then you will be able to do a lot more with getting your foot in the door.

Generally speaking, if you can demonstrate committment, an obvious drive to learn in that area, show that you are proactive and very capable of learning quickly then you should be able to get noticed by an employer. Just because you may not necessarily have a requisite knowledge base does not mean that you cant handle learning a role.

Best of luck mate.

Regards, Shaun.

PaulC
12-06-2008, 09:18 AM
Hi Shaun,

Thanks for the encouraging reply, much appreciated.

I've heard a few people mention recently that a government role is a good way to get some decent experience - now to do some homework on what platform they're using to recruit.

Thanks again,

PC.

kevinh
14-06-2008, 06:29 PM
Paul,

Changing career streams is rarely an easy task, but I think Shaun really hit the nail on the head with his statement "Proactivity is the name of the game".

Be tenacious, keep plugging away, explore every avenue, and try not to become disillusioned by the inevitable knock backs.

Often you just need to be in the right place at the right time, particularly if you are considering temp/contract HR roles, which you should be. Temp/contract roles are often immediate requirements, and because of the temporary nature employers are more likely to take a risk on someone who might not be a perfect fit.

Just because you have "signed up" with recruitment agencies don't rely them on them calling you when a suitable job comes up. I would suggest that you still watch what they advertise and contact them straight away if you see them advertise an opportunity which could be right for you. By the same token don't pester them about jobs which you are clearly not qualified for.

Also, contact employers yourself, while they may not be advertising HR jobs today, something could come up tomorrow, the day your letter lands on the HR Manager's desk! Or they might have a project coming up that they need some extra hands for but haven't yet done any resourcing.

Make sure your covering letter is well crafted and explain up front (concisely) that you are trying to make a career transition. Make a call to the companies you are writing to and ask the name and postal address of the HR Manager.

If you are looking for jobs in the public sector, check out some of the State Government jobs sites as well as the big traditional job boards. The State Govt job boards often don't include local government jobs, so it's worth looking at the web sites of some of the councils within your reach geographically.

If you haven't done already, check out Jobs in HR (http://www.jobsinhr.com.au/), it does tend to carry a lot of middle to senior level positions but there are sometimes entry level positions as well.

Good luck!
Kevin

PaulC
17-06-2008, 06:43 PM
Again, great advice, and thanks for the encouragement Kevin!

I am registered with "Jobs in HR" and receive daily updates. Lately most of the roles have been of a higher level (requiring more experience than I can offer) but I'm sure something will come up that's more in my league.

I've actually been given the contact details of a high level HR Manager who has offered to have a chat to me about getting into the industry. Not neccesarily an employment avenue because he's based on the other side of the country, but it will certainly be good to get some input and learn from somebody who's had a lot of experience in the industry.

The search continues... thanks again.

PC.

NicoleL
18-06-2008, 02:06 PM
Hi Paul

Shaun was on the mark - in Melbourne, definitely look at state government for entry level HR roles. They provide for a great platform to your HR career.

Visit www.careers.vic.gov.au and you would be looking at the VPSG2 level HR role (which is an entry level role)

It is important however when applying for a role in state government that you foward to them a cover letter, a resume and statements addressing each key selection criteria separately. The key selection criteria is where most people let themselves down by not addressing them.

If you can show how keen you are in HR and that you are currently studying that will definitely go in your favour.

Good luck

cheers
Nicole

Pete
18-06-2008, 02:38 PM
Paul

You've obviously done your homework and are highly motivated - two things that HR folk look for and spot quickly. A graduate who thinks the degree is the key is often disapointed when they miss out tto non-qualified applicants who have the right attitude, commitment and are able to relate the experience they have to role they are applying for.

Chatting to established professionals is a great start, as is recognising that you may need to start in HR admin or recruitment support to open a few doors. I'd also second the advice regarding Governement Departments (including local government and the Health Sector).

If you are having to take other temp roles to pay the bills while pursuing the ideal HR opportunity, look out for opportunities in corporate offices as you may be able to network with the HR team there.

Good luck

Pete

Marc Levingston
18-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Hi All

After reading Paul`s message, I can also relate to how difficult it is to move into HR.

My name is Marc, and I am actually a High School teacher who is looking to make the transition into HR or a Learning and development role. I actually completed my undergraduate degree in HR, and I am presently mid way through my MBA.

Prior to teaching I worked in Administration and developed numerous skills which I believe are transferable to the HR profession.

I am also a student member of AHRI, and am also currently involved in their mentoring program which is a great initiative from AHRI. I am really enjoying learning new things from a more experienced HR practitioner.

Despite this, I have found it difficult to get a foot in the door. I am based in Sydney, and it seems that it is one of the most competitive geographical markets to enter.

I would appreciate any feedback from other members about perhaps what else I could do.

Many thanks
Marc

Nerrida
23-06-2008, 03:53 PM
Hi all ,

You may be already aware, but the platform that Commonwealth Government agencies are required to use to advertise all ongoing and non-ongoing (beyond 12 months in duration) positions is www.apsjobs.gov.au and is worthwhile searching if you are looking to enter the Government workforce.

Best of luck!
Nerrida

AVienet
26-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Hi Marc, if you are interested in learning and development you may find it worthwhile to do a Cert IV in Training and Development (although potentially your qualifications as a teacher might cover this but sometimes companies just want to see that on the cv so that they know you undertand adult learning vs teaching.) You could start by doing an English as a Second Language course and teaching a bit of that - or getting into a RTO to do a bit of facilitation for them. From my experience we are always looking for good facilitators and have had plenty come from a similar background to you.

MichelleK
26-06-2008, 08:40 PM
Hi Paul,

Believe it or not, I was in your position 3 months ago and was able to get some great advice from people on here. Although I was a graduate and obviously had qualifications, I found it took months to find something. Now I realise that experience is extremely valuable and can be more desirable than a Degree. In reference to your first post, I think starting general is a great idea. My graduate role is an Recruitment administrator which I find to be a great start seeing as I am learning about every aspect of HR. Keep at it, you will find something eventually.

Let us know how you go!

PaulC
30-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Thanks again for all the replies, advice and encouragement! Still no news, but I must admit that things have been quite hectic over the last couple of weeks, so the job hunt has been on the back-burner a little.

I have, however, made contact with a few HR related managers over the past couple of weeks (unfortunately in other parts of the country) and it's been good to speak to a few people in the industry. Everybody has been very supportive and encouraging, and most of the advice I'm getting agrees with the advice which you guys have given.

The search continues. Will keep you updated.

Thanks again.

PC.