PDA

View Full Version : Prize winning HR Graduate lands in Melbourne...

Robbie
28-11-2007, 01:06 AM
Hello beautiful Melbourne people, my name is Robbie and I've just relocated to this beautiful and culturally rich city to begin my HR career after studying as a mature student.

I graduated in HRM and Management at Curtin University of Technology in WA and won a number of prizes through my degree; finishing in the top 1% of students. I have 5+ years of administration work experience prior to starting my studies in 2003, including management roles.

As I am new to town, I don't have many contacts, almost none :( and it has been a difficult road meeting professionals and getting interviews. While I have achieved excellent academic results and do have significant work/life experience. My lack of recent HR experience is like having a big grey cloud over my head.

I am hoping to find some contacts that will open doors for me; or to gain some additional insight from local HR professionals that will guide me closer to my goal of securing a HR position. I am currently seeking out HR Administration Assistant positions, which I understand to be the entry level position.

I will be grateful for any assistance and look forward to your contact.

Kind regards

Robbie

If you have something to share with me or would like me to forward you a copy of my resume, please email me at robbiecan_@hotmail.com with HR Buzz in the Subject line.

cam
28-11-2007, 10:06 AM
Hello Robbie and welcome to HR Buzz. :)

Excellent move coming on down to Melbourne as there would be a wide array of opportunities for a successful HR graduate like yourself and although our members come from all over the place there are a few of us Melbournians lurking around the forum so I'm sure you'll be able to get in contact with a few.

cam
30-11-2007, 11:34 AM
Robbie, in regard to finding a Melbourne based HR position, it would be worthwhile having a look at Jobs in HR (http://www.jobsinhr.com.au) as there are many Melbourne based positions of all levels.

Robbie
30-11-2007, 12:29 PM
Thank you Cam, I appreciate your reply and advice very much. I have been having some good success on Jobs in HR and have subscribed to the alerts there. My biggest barrier is that I don't have recent experience or any professional HR contacts in Melbourne.

Without any experience the recruitment staff are not very keen on me, even for entry level positions which is what I have been focusing on.

Something that I have been considering and why I put the spiel in the general forum is that, apparently a large portion of jobs don't get advertised and are often filled internally through staff or externally through a personal contact. And this is why I want to initiate and increase my networking list of professionals.

Thank you again, the sites have both been very helpful and informative.

Regards

Robbie

cam
30-11-2007, 12:49 PM
Hi Robbie,

For someone with your academic record, perhaps a graduate position would a good option. I remembered that there was previously a discussion on this with some good advice, not sure if you've seen it....

http://www.hrbuzz.com.au/vb/showthread.php?t=46