PDA

View Full Version : Will AHRI membership become compulsory ?

RegP
16-11-2007, 11:43 PM
How would you feel if it were compulsory to join AHRI ? - at a cost of $330 per year + a $55 joining fee.

If AHRI achieves it’s goals that’s exactly what you might have to do!

In the Nov 07 edition of the AHRI magazine “HR Monthly”, AHRI CEO Serge Sardo said;

“Over the next couple of years we want to start seeing HR jobs that are advertised saying ‘AHRI membership essential’. We won’t rest until we get to the point where employers and recruiters realise our members have an edge – our members are more professional and more dedicated to professional development.”

Presumably that means “more professional” than those of you who are not AHRI members!

Moz
17-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Wow, so this is the agenda for the new corporatised AHRI – force all HR practitioners to become members.

What I find surprising about the quote in the original post is that the CEO of the association representing the HR profession would advocate something that would be illegal – discrimination against people who are not members of an association. Surely someone in Mr Sardo’s position should know better?

The claim that AHRI members are more professional than non AHRI members is a joke. What’s that supposed to mean?

I’ve been an AHRI member for several years, joining was a breeze, despite the fact that I have never actually worked in HR. Furthermore, since joining AHRI I can’t recall doing any formal professional development and I can guarantee there would be many HR practitioners out there who were far better qualified and trained than I and are not members of AHRI.

It’s fair to say that being a member of AHRI means nothing. Pay your $385 and you’re in!

Maybe I’m being too cynical. What does everyone else think?

Just a Dude
17-11-2007, 07:14 PM
I am considering joining, purely for the tax writeoff of "Professional Association fees" or so my accountant says.
I have worked in various organisations, and I have never had any say that they were a member of AHRI when listing their qualifications/affiliations.
Why do people join these associations? I have read briefly about them, on their website since speaking with my accountant, and they were brought up in my university studies, but are there any clear cut benefits of being a member?

Moz
18-11-2007, 01:09 PM
Well Dude, I think you need a new accountant - spending money purely to get a tax deduction doesn't make sense. Do the math!

Why do people join associations?

That's a very good question!

I joined primarily to get the HR Monthly magazine, but I was annoyed to discover later that you can get that without actually joining, for $132 per year.

I think most people feel they should join but probably don't really think about the reasons why.

Some people join because they intend to get involved in special interest groups and the like, but I suspect in reality only a small percentage of people really do get involved. Even some of those people probably have a vested interest, i.e because they provide products or service to the HR profession.

Then of course there are the sad people who join just so they can use the letters "MAHRI" after their name! (even though the rest of the world don't know what the letters mean).

are there any clear cut benefits of being a member?

Another very good question, which I suspect too few people who join associations and clubs ask themselves.

The only things I am aware of are discounts on purchasing resources and attending events, but of course that means you're spending more money to save money (again).

Hopefully we will hear from some other members and get a more balanced perspective on this.

Jane Anderson
21-11-2007, 09:45 AM
ah.... in this day and age you would think the so called "peak" body of the HR profession would actually understand the laws of the land re discrimination.

I used to belong to AHRI many years ago. All I ended up getting was spammed by other members trying to sell me their services. Great! (not) Pay this money to join, so that you can then be part of an email list where sales staff can contact you directly. No thanks.

As an independent thinker, the first thing I will resist is compulsory membership of any association. When a job ad even mentions AHRI, I just delete. It's a turn off for me.

If AHRI wants me to join, they'd better suggest a better business model than what they are thinking now. Clearly, if this is their strategy, it's not an association I want to be part of.

AHRI = turn off.

sincerely,

Jane Anderson

whohelps
23-11-2007, 10:38 AM
Is compulsorary membership the same as compulsorary unionism? Both illegal, not to mention that there are very good Hr people who are not members. From the comments posted so far there appears to be lots of good reasons NOT to join

hrwhiz
26-11-2007, 03:17 PM
It is these types of comments that explain why the HR profession is so fragmented and has such a poor reputation.

http://www.ahri.com.au/MMSDocuments/profdevelopment/research/research_papers/0711_Pulse_Vol1_no1_Extreme_makeover.pdf

I think we are stupid if we think we don’t need a professional association that represents its members with the view of raising the standards – I’ve been a member of AHRI for many years and it seems to me that’s exactly what they’re trying to become. Just look at the CPA and how well accountants get paid and the enormous job choices they have because their association has such high standards. Unless HR professionals agree to support their only professional association and use it for their own benefits, we will always have the reputation of being soft and fuzzy individuals.

RegP
26-11-2007, 05:41 PM
Just look at the CPA and how well accountants get paid and the enormous job choices they have because their association has such high standards.

There's a BIG difference between CPAs with AHRI members.

To become a CPA you must first have an accredited degree or a specific post graduate degree. Then you must complete the CPA Progam which takes a minimum of 1.5 years assuming 10-15 hours study per week (that's the minimum recommended).

Then you go through a 3 year Mentor Progam before you are finally admitted as a CPA.

That's why CPAs command respect and higher salaries, because there is rigor in the membership process.

By comparison an AHRI membership is meaningless. Almost anyone can become an AHRI member, providing you have n years of 'relevant' experience - you don't even need a degree.

Nevertheless, AHRI would like to see employers requiring HR job applicants to be AHRI members. I'm not sure whether that is that an indicator of ignorance or arrogance.

Let's face it, AHRI is never going to be anything like CPA Australia as an professional body.

hrwhiz
27-11-2007, 08:27 AM
Again this is the sort of ignorance that gives HR professionals a bad name. Firstly, there are several categories of AHRI membership and to be an AHRI certified member there is in place a very strict criteria. To keep that membership you have to meet continuing professional development requirements. Neither I nor the AHRI CEO is saying that AHRI membership should be compulsory. The point that is being missed here is that the HR profession should have some regulatory and professional development requirements if we are ever going to be credible. And if you think we don't need to improve our reputation you are more ignorant than your comments suggest.

RegP
27-11-2007, 09:20 AM
hrwhiz, it sounds like I have a much more positive view of the HR profession than you do.

I disagree with this assertion that "HR professionals" in general have a "bad name". I'm sure they do in some organisations where they don't really add any value. But in some organisations the same can also be said of Accountants (Beancounters), Lawyers, OH&S people, risk managers and probably numerous other non revenue generating employees if they impede the business rather than partner with and assist the business.

However, there is plenty of evidence that the HR professional's star is rising. There are an increasing number of large organisations (globally) where HR has considerable influence, where HR is viewed as a very fundamental part of the business. This is happening without job advertisements stating that applicants must be AHRI members. To a large extent it's happening because we are seeing a new generation of both HR and general management who have a different view of HR to their predecessors.

You say the AHRI CEO isn't saying that AHRI membership should be compulsory but he does say
"Over the next couple of years we want to start seeing HR jobs that are advertised saying ‘AHRI membership essential’."

So what he is saying in effect is, he would like it to be more difficult for HR people to get a job if they are not AHRI members.

pbhr
27-11-2007, 10:56 AM
If only RegP were right and HR had a strong image, but I’ve had a look at the AHRI survey findings and regrettably they ring true.

While I agree with RegP’s proposition that other professionals also get a bad name when they impede rather than support the business, the trouble with HR is that it too often gets type-caste that way.

The point is not that AHRI members should hog the HR job market but that a time might come when AHRI membership implies a person with a rigorous qualification, a bit of business acumen, and a capacity to add value through expertise. So while it would not be ‘compulsory’ to be an AHRI member, employers would look for it when recruiting HR staff.

lyndarobertshall
28-11-2007, 01:22 PM
Dear All

In joining any professional association, there is access to professional development and opportunity to gain contemporary knowledge.

Professional associations serve to assist members to keep their professional knowledge and skills high. How members choose to access the benefits they can obtain is purely up to the individual. Importantly, it does demonstrate that you have access to professional networks.

AHRI does provide opportunities and has changed consideably over the years in response to member demands. You cannot change unless your members tell you what you they need. Whether you choose to join is purely up to you.

From a recruitment perspective, professional memberships are often indicative of a committment to ensuring your knowledge is kept current, that you are motivated and keeping abreast of best practice. Personally, I believe that adds to your competitiveness as a candidate. AS many employers do seek candidates with professional memberships for a variety of positions (not just HR), then it does seem to be a wide held view.

Perhaps the fact that the HR function is somewhat diluted may reflect the fact that HR practitioners are not always putting best practice into play. or using their skills and knowledge to their best ability. Professional memberships play a part in turning that around.

Lastly, any membership is only valuable if you are getting the most out of it and if it meets your needs. I personally have found that my own AHRI membership and other memberships throughout my career have enabled me to gain jobs over other candidates., provide benefit to my employers and progress my own career.

anne
29-11-2007, 08:58 AM
Looks like it might be following in the footsteps of the CIPD which is the UK equivalent of AHRI. Only difference is CIPD appears to actually have some professional standing and respect within the industry.
To me AHRI is just a waste of time and have never provided anything worth paying for.