PDA

View Full Version : Performance Reviews

CindyS
24-09-2007, 12:32 PM
Hi, I am tasked to write a paper of recommendation to implement performance reviews for my organisation. From research, I understand that this process is meant to engage managers and their direct reports in dialogues during the year, build trust as well as manage performance.

My question is: Does anybody's organisation or company practice / carry out performance reviews (aside from the annual appraisal)? If so, how often during a year and how successful has it been for you?

Renee Muir
24-09-2007, 02:53 PM
Hi Cindy,

We carry out performance reviews twice per year with the June appraisals being an actual pay review.

We do our's online and are pretty successful - probably because they are not nearly as time consuming as the hard copy appraisals and are less "in your face". We still do the face-to-face interview afterwards but use the appraisal as a tool to guide the interview...which means you can focus on specific areas of interest/concern too.

I work for Onetest (http://www.onetest.com.au) and we actually developed our own online appraisal solution with the help of in-house psychologists - if you are interested click here (http://www.onetest.com.au/home/products/online_survey.cfm).

Otherwise you might be interested in some tips for successful performance reviews. These were written by our MD and published in Human Resources Magazine earlier this year:

10 Tips to a better Performance Appraisal
1. Ensure all parties are in the right frame of mind
2. Remember reviews are a two way street
3. Take time out (of the office) to prepare
4. Elicit qualitative feedback throughout the year, not just at the end
5. Prepare an agenda and communicate this to employees in advance
6. Stay on track
7. Start & finish with positive feedback
8. Create a list of action items
9. Have the team member agree on the action items and next steps
10. View the review as the start of the process not the end

Hope this helps :)

Renee Muir

CindyS
24-09-2007, 04:14 PM
Dear Renee

Thank you for your reply. Onetest has many interesting ideas and solutions, and I hope that one day my organisation can reach a level where we are able to conduct these reviews online.

I have another question for you, it sounds like your reviews are self-directed and then only the annual appraisal is conducted face-to-face? Is that correct? Does HR take the responsibility to remind staff to fill in the forms at every review period? Or is this the manager's responsibility.

Thanks again for your advice! The tips are very helpful.

Lance
24-09-2007, 04:19 PM
Hi Cindy
Our salaried staff receive two reviews per year: interim (Jan) and final (June). Both of these reviews are conducted face-to-face.
Our EA staff receive four reviews per year, a face to face on their employment anniversary date, and three electronically delivered performance reviews every four months.

Renee Muir
24-09-2007, 06:03 PM
Both reviews are face-to-face and completed online first. So staff would actually complete the "appraisal survey" (written by our org psych's) then both the employee and the manager review the report before and discuss in detail during the face-to-face interview.

This is really good if you are doing a 360 which we also do annually. So the manager can talk through results of feedback that is accumulated from peers, other managers etc.

The online appraisals are sent automatically via email (all set up at the time the employee starts) with reminders sent 1 week and then 2 days out. Again, all automated. It streamlines the process which = no stress!

Cheers,

Renee Muir

CindyS
24-09-2007, 06:23 PM
Hi Renee
Thank you for your feedback. That sounds really stress free for HR! A face-to-face is very important and for the general process to be automated is truly efficient. I will bear these in mind as a recommendation.
.. Cindy

CindyS
24-09-2007, 06:26 PM
Hi Lance
Thanks for your feedback. How have your staff who receive 4 reviews feel about the frequency? Again, like Renee's automated processes seem to take away a lot of the stress!
... Cindy

DianneE
26-09-2007, 01:14 PM
Hi Cindy
Definately consider a software solution we use cambron and it's really great. It acts like a rolling review with heaps of flexibility, the formal review process is effectively done when it comes around.

CindyS
26-09-2007, 05:52 PM
Dear Dianne

Thank you for your suggestion. Automation will be something I intend to explore in the coming year and hopefully can introduce it for implementation in 2008 in certain countries we operate in.

Out of curiosity, would anyone know of companies which may be able to provide an easy to use software at a economical price for non-profit organisations? My organisation has close to 500 staff in Bangladesh - in addition, not all have computerised systems - how would this work?

Thanks, Cindy.

DianneE
27-09-2007, 11:59 AM
Cindy, I guess expense is relative, but we thought that the Cambron software was excellent value and certainly provided overall cost savings. How it would go in Bangladesh I don't know, but we do have numerous staff who don't have immediate PC access and its not a real problem with their proxy user approach. If you are interested there contact details can be found at www.cambron.com.au

Lance
27-09-2007, 01:51 PM
Hi Lance
Thanks for your feedback. How have your staff who receive 4 reviews feel about the frequency? Again, like Renee's automated processes seem to take away a lot of the stress!
... Cindy

Hi Cindy

Staff who recieve the four reviews have made no complaints about the frequency. The three electronic reviews come out on the same day for all staff and are an overview of ongoing performance with comments and performance scores. It also identifies which manager completed the assessment, so should they wish to query it in any way, they know who to approach (over the course of the four months, the staff member will work with multiple managers).

On their employment anniversary date, the employee recieves a sit down F-2-F review which incorporates the previous 12 month's assessments.

Cheers

Lance.

HRbeat
02-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Dear Dianne

Out of curiosity, would anyone know of companies which may be able to provide an easy to use software at a economical price for non-profit organisations? My organisation has close to 500 staff in Bangladesh - in addition, not all have computerised systems - how would this work?

Thanks, Cindy.

Hi Cindy....I am also interested in the same! I'll monitor this thread just in case someone strongly suggests a cost-effective and value-add solution....LOL the joys of working for a non-profit organisation! Actually, as long as we can demonstrate the value-add and ROI, there should be no problem...our strong emphasis on performance can certainly support a business case for this!

JackT
08-10-2007, 11:11 AM
Hi HRBEAT
I worked for a not for profit (always short of cash) who also used Cambron software. It is definately worth looking at. We had the same experience as DianneE, it provided immediate demonstrable savings through better organised training. We recouped our investment in year one. Simple to use links to quality standards & business plans.

HRbeat
15-10-2007, 09:56 AM
Thanks JackT....will have a look at it!