PDA

View Full Version : Current job market - HR professionals

Lisa-Jane
04-09-2007, 09:49 AM
Is anyone able to provide information on the current job market for HR professionals?

The reason I am asking is in the past two months I have applied for two positions that after being interviewed by the Recruitment Agency and the employer have been readvertised.

One position in particular has been advertised by five different recruitment companies (some even listing on the same day), with the role changing slightly every time.

Any advice or information will be appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Lisa-Jane.

jba
04-09-2007, 03:18 PM
One thing I have noticed is that HR people do not necessarily treat other HR people nicely in the hiring process. I to have just gone through a period of proffessional transition and was dumbfounded by the number of agency personnel who were immediately out of their depth when attempting to conduct interviews when there was an obvious lack of homework done. For example I applied for a position that had a heavy IR focus and the interviewer did not know what union was involved but assured me that this was a vital part of the job!.
I suppose cultural and personal fit plays heavily on these roles however the treatment of you as an applicant will stick with you for some time afterwards.Its a good experience in that you soon learn how not to treat people when you are back in the chair again yourself.

kevinh
04-09-2007, 03:55 PM
Lisa-Jane,

I am involved in running the niche recruitment advertising product Jobs in HR (http://www.jobsinhr.com.au/) and our view is that the market is generally very buoyant, especially so in Perth, Sydney, Melbourne and to a lesser extent Brisbane.

Given the on-going skills shortage, which isn't going to change in the foreseeable future, I can't see any reason why the demand for HR people won't also continue, particularly in the areas of recruitment, retention and staff development, and associated areas such as Remuneration and Benefits.

Kevin

vskayalar
05-09-2007, 05:57 PM
Great that u shared with us. Thanjks

Lisa-Jane
06-09-2007, 09:02 AM
Hi Kevin,

Are you able to provide any information on the market for HR Generalists?

Thanks,

Lisa-Jane

kevinh
07-09-2007, 05:32 PM
Hi Kevin,

Are you able to provide any information on the market for HR Generalists?

I can't give you any hard figures but we see a good number of HR Generalist positions every week, although many of them tend to be temp or contract positions, often filling in for people on maternity leave. They can also vary quite a bit in seniority, it's not uncommon to see senior generalist roles. Bear in mind they are not always advertised as "HR Generalist", we quite often see HR Manager positions which are basically generalist roles.

Hope this helps :)

regards,
Kevin

Lisa-Jane
10-09-2007, 09:43 AM
Thank you.

Regards,

Lisa-Jane

RogerB
10-09-2007, 11:06 AM
Lisa

I too am in the same position, while there seem to be a lot of HR jobs in the market place getting past the recruitment agency apears to be the problem. In most cases recruitment agencies have the motto " last week I sold clothes now I am a HR Consultant" So remember in a lot of cases these "consultants do not have any background or knowledge of the jobs they are trying to fill and have very limited knowledge of the client or what the client needs and therefore go off a "cheat sheet", unless you state in your CV the worlds on the sheet you do not get a go. Not all agencies are the same and we should not forget that some are professionals, however they are in the minority. you need to source these agencies.

Recently I applied for a job through an agency because the employer asked me too, the employer wanted to know if they were getting a good service or would they do better recruiting themself. My resume never reached the client.

You would be better applying direct to the employer.

Lisa-Jane
10-09-2007, 11:22 AM
Hi Roger,

Thanks so much for the advice.

I find the majority of positions being advertised are through agencies and not directly through the employer. Do you have any advice regarding directly approaching an employer?

On the subject of agencies, I have found Link Recruitment to be most professional.

Regards,

Lisa-Jane.

RogerB
10-09-2007, 11:39 AM
Lisa-Jane,

Which city are you in?

Rogerb

RogerB
10-09-2007, 11:40 AM
Lisa-Jane

Which city are you in or are seeking a job in?

Rogerb

Lisa-Jane
10-09-2007, 11:44 AM
Hi Roger,

I am job seeking in Melbourne.

Regards,

Lisa-Jane.