PDA

View Full Version : JobX - yet another new job board!

Moz
28-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Incredible as it my seem, what with the collapse of jobs.com.au, and careersites.com.au and the launch of jobsjobsjobs and jobslive, there's yet another job board about to launch - JobX !

If you have the patience, and the appropriate software on your computer, you can download their 20Mb promo video here (http://blip.tv/file/get/Rmare-JOBXVIDEO802.m4v)

Apparently they're going to attract more eyeballs than Seek, and will enthrall job seekers with the ability to create video resumes and create your own little MySpace space within JobX. That is assuming (a) you have the multimedia skills to do so, and (b) you're unemployed so you have plenty of time on your hands, or (c) you're a multimedia expert and are looking for somewhere to showcase your talent.

As for the advertisers, you will be subject to performance "ranking" by candidates - something I'm sure employers and recruiters will really warm to (tongue very much in cheek!)

Rumour is they are launching this coming weekend ...

cam
28-08-2007, 02:42 PM
I'm very keen to see what this new job board is all about. But I'm not sure how keen users will be in gripping this tremendous functionality that the site promises to deliver. Even with a background in Multimedia I'm not hugely excited about some of the features.

However, I have read that having very interactive usability and the ability to maintain users activity on a site is a a very high contributing factor to the success of a site.

Moz
28-08-2007, 03:55 PM
However, I have read that having very interactive usability and the ability to maintain users activity on a site is a a very high contributing factor to the success of a site.

It might be so for Facebook or YouTube, but I can't see how that applies to a job board. Maybe I'm just too old :)

Moz
04-09-2007, 06:24 PM
The JobX launch date has been and gone with no sign of a web site as yet. Their "beta period" has apparently been extended to 23 September, although the beta site is obviously not publicly accessible, so I'm not sure why they bothered to mention it.

Moz
07-09-2007, 11:57 AM
JobX (http://www.jobx.com.au) is now live. Initial impressions are that they collected every team members ideas and incorporated them all!

To my mind the site has far too many options i.e

My Broadcast, My Details, My Intuitive Job Feeds, My Application Tracker, My Bookmarks, My Corner, My Documents, My Fans, My Network, My Notes, My Picture/Video, My Public Broadcast Setting, My Resources, My Résumé(s), y Shortlist, My Tags, My Password, Advertisers, My Video Resume,

... and that's just the stuff they expect YOU to create!

Register on the site and have a look for yourself, if you have a spare hour or two ...

jobxnz
21-07-2008, 02:17 PM
And JOBX (http://www.jobx.co.nz) has now spread across the Tasman with JOBX.co.nz (http://www.jobx.co.nz)

Good to see you guys have had good things to say about the Australian site! :-)

Moz
21-07-2008, 10:12 PM
And JOBX (http://www.jobx.co.nz) has now spread across the Tasman with JOBX.co.nz (http://www.jobx.co.nz)

Good to see you guys have had good things to say about the Australian site! :-)

Haha, very funny (you are joking, aren't you ?)

Frankly I think you are wasting your time trying to compete with the established multi discipline job boards, such as Seek, MyCareer and CareerOne here in Australia. Maybe, you will have a better chance in NZ.

You need a real point of difference, and all that social networking stuff just doesn't cut it, because the real social networking sites do it so much better. Still, I admire your tenacity. I just hope your not burning up someone else's money ...

jobxnz
22-07-2008, 06:41 AM
Hi Moz. Perhaps you could fire some constructive criticism our way so we can contend against the big boys - info@jobx.co.nz..

Btw by having more contenders in the space, doesn't both the job seeker and recruiter benefit? It's the upside of having an open market.

Caveat - this is not a joke.

Moz
22-07-2008, 08:23 AM
I'm more than happy to provide some constructive feedback but I doubt you will agree with what I have to say.

I think the JobX model of providing 'other' features such as social networking is misguided because on the whole, there are other sites that do it better. I though initially it might appeal to the younger job seeker but when I asked some Gen Y people about it they said if they wanted social networking they go to Facebook or MySpace, for videos they use YouTube.

As for video resumes., I think they are a really bad idea, unless you're a really good looking multimedia expert ;) Video resumes increase the likelihood of discrimination, whether it be conscious or subconscious.

Finally, I do not think the job seeker and recruiters benefit from more large, multi discipline job boards. Here in Australia at least, three is enough. Rarely would you find a job on MyCareer or CareerOne that isn't also on Seek. As a job seeker, why would I want to use JobX when I know that you carry far less opportunities than Seek?

From a recruiter's perspective I wish Seek didn't have so much market power but the reality is I feel I need to advertise on Seek. So for me advertising is usually Seek + 1 or 2 niche job boards, or sometimes MyCareer + niche boards (there are one or two disciplines that I think MyCareer do better than Seek). I just don't see the point in spending additional money on JobX or JobsJobsJobs.

Actually I read in a recent recruitment magazine that CareerOne surpassed MyCareer in unique browsers for May, so maybe I should check them out again.

jobxnz
22-07-2008, 12:42 PM
You're right - I am someone who uses Facebook for social networking but would definately not use something like Myspace for career networking.

So that is where the career networking what JOBX provides comes in.

The video and other multi media are additional offerings and NOT our unique offer, if you had a look at the site, there are other unique offers such as an opportunity for job seekers to review advertisers, referral rewards, the white labels and widgets etc

But thanks for your feedback nonetheless I have passed it onto the decision makers at both www.jobx.com.au and www.jobx.co.nz

dmh
06-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Has anyone had a look at the new job board www.olderworkers.com.au