PDA

View Full Version : Secondment

SteveR
17-08-2007, 12:35 PM
Hi,

We have transferred a number of staff to the UK for periods ranging from 6 months to 2 years. During this time these staff will be paid by us here in Oz into their Oz bank accounts. The individuals will receive a per diem allowance in the UK. We have not effectively managed personal tax arrangements & I am conscious of the need for Aust income to be declared in the UK, thus potentially double taxing the individuals.
Does anyone have a secondment policy they can send me which will cover in particular all tax issues.

Cheers
Steve

kevinh
19-08-2007, 06:37 PM
Hi,

Does anyone have a secondment policy they can send me which will cover in particular all tax issues.

Steve, is it feasible to do this? - have a policy that covers all tax issues?
Surely each person may have different tax considerations and the policy would also have to keep track of any changes to tax laws.

I also think it would be a bit risky to have a policy which could be construed as tax advice - or do you mean a policy stating what the company can or cannot do in terms helping people manage their individual tax situation ?

Thinking about it, there are probably other financial issues which need consideration - such as existing life, crisis care and salary continuation policies, which may have clauses which affect there validity or continuation when a person is no longer living in the country or origin.

All that said, if anyone has any policies which they can share (in a generic form), we would love to make them available in the Documents (http://www.hrbuzz.com.au/vb/cmps_index.php?page=docs) section of HR Buzz.

Steve, it sounds like you may be interested in the Melb Uni survey which we are trying to help recruit participants for - more detail here (http://hrbuzz.com.au/vb/showthread.php?p=217#post217)

SteveR
20-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Hi Kevin,

I clearly don't want anything to be interpreted as tax advice, more an overview as to what the norms are in terms of coverage eg provision of accom, relocation allowance, advice on declaring income in both countries etc. I'm really looking for guidance as to what other mid size companies are offering their staff who relocated for periods of time plus as you say, some thoughts on what can & can't be done with the personal tax situations.

Thanks!