PDA

View Full Version : HR Advice - Career Development

Mish
27-07-2007, 09:33 PM
Hi,

I am currently working within a generalist capacity and have always been interested in moving into the Rem & Ben side of HR.

Does anyone have any advice to what sort of education or training I should completed to assit me achieve my goal?

Many thanks
Mish.

Robbie
04-12-2007, 11:20 PM
HI Mish

It's been some time since your post, I hope you have figured out what courses will help you. I Find it rather surprising and sad that no one replied to you.

I have just arrived in a new city and I am trying to get an entry level HR position after studying. Everyone is screaming out for experienced staff but few seem keen to take on someone who has dedicated 4 years to study and now whats to get in and do the job.

I would like to hear how varied your role as a generalist is, that is waht I am aspiring for short term. My interest long term is for OD and L&D.

Regards

Robbie

Just a Dude
12-12-2007, 08:49 PM
HI Mish

It's been some time since your post, I hope you have figured out what courses will help you. I Find it rather surprising and sad that no one replied to you.

I have just arrived in a new city and I am trying to get an entry level HR position after studying. Everyone is screaming out for experienced staff but few seem keen to take on someone who has dedicated 4 years to study and now whats to get in and do the job.

I would like to hear how varied your role as a generalist is, that is waht I am aspiring for short term. My interest long term is for OD and L&D.

Regards

Robbie

Good luck with the search Robbie! I was looking for a number of years after uni, and nobody gave me a shot in HR.
It might be just me, but I found that many people in the industry, have lucked out and either fell into their roles (ie worked in another capacity, then transitioned cause they knew someone/had a great reputation etc). Call me bitter, but I like yourself, worked hard to get a degree, but in this industry it somewhat means little unless you have the right network/contacts to get the initial start.
I work in recruitment now, and have so for several years, and the HR department that currently governs the organisation I work for, seem to be more idealistic then realistic. They have mentioned a number of 'initiatives' that they are working towards, however I don't foresee any significant change in the near future. Even in an organisation that operates in the recruitment industry, little is known about what the HR department actually does on a daily basis.